Hye Thyme Cafe: Peppermint Bark

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Peppermint Bark


Tis the season! We all love the Peppermint Bark that comes this time of year at a certain store that shall remain nameless, but why on Earth would you spend all that money on something that is so much cheaper and so easy to make youself?!?

Just make sure you use a nice creamy chocolate. I usually use Dove, Lindt, or Ghirardelli.

INGREDIENTS :
Dark chocolate (whatever you prefer - milk, dark, semi-sweet, etc.)
White chocolate
Peppermint Extract
Crushed peppermint candies (candy canes work well - easier to crush than others)

All you need to do is . . .

Melt the dark chocolate, either over a double boiler on the stove, or at 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring after each until smooth. Spread on a waxed-paper-lined baking sheet and chill for a few minutes.


While that is chilling, go ahead and melt your white chocolate, stirring in peppermint extract to taste - depends on how big of a batch you're making / how much chocolate we're talking about. When the dark chocolate is somewhat set, spread the white chocolate over the top, running a knife through it to marbleize if you want.




















While the white chocolate is still soft, sprinkle the crushed peppermints over the top, pressing down lightly, then chill to set.

Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.

6 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful, and so easy! I'll try it. (visiting from TALU)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely easy, and everyone loves it. The only problem is if you end up getting super hard peppermint candies. That happened to me once. One of my nephews was in the kitchen at the time I was making it, so I had him crush them. We put them in a zip-lock and he whacked them with a meat mallet -- it DENTED!!!

      Delete
  2. You know I have never tried Peppermint Bark, probably at the place you won't mention and the one I can't think of. I'm knee deep in ingredients for all the other stuff I make but this one is a keeper for the future - maybe after the holidays when another store we won't mention WALMART has the candy canes for $.10. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic, Chris. That's one of my favorites.

    Thanks for linking up with the TALU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might sneak a little Kahlua in next time. ;)

      Delete
  4. Would be a cute gift idea too. I keep seeing people making it in snowflake cookie cutters now. I might make a version this week in little candy cane ice molds I have. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...