Hye Thyme Cafe: Eggnog Cookies

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, December 10, 2010

Eggnog Cookies


These were a first for me. I like them, but I couldn't decide whether I should ice them or not, so I only iced a handful for a luncheon tomorrow. I may end up icing more ... I'll have to decide when I see what's left. I love the flavor of eggnog, but it's so rich, I can barely drink a shot glass full, so I like to try and incorporate it into other things.

INGREDIENTS :
2 1/4 c flour
1 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
1 1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t salt
1 1/4 c sugar
3/4 c butter
2 eggs
1/2 c eggnog
2 t vanilla
additional nutmeg for garnish
eggnog / powdered sugar - icing



Preheat oven to 300 and line baking sheets with parchment.

In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; set aside.




In a larger bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, then stir in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla and eggnog, until smooth. Once the wet ingredients are thoroughly combined, stir in the dry ingredients, a little at a time, until smooth.





Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto prepared tray and sprinkle tops with additional nutmeg. Bake until bottom edges start to brown, 15-20". Let cool on trays for a few minutes before removing to racks to cool completely.




Once they have cooled, if you decide you want to ice them, just stir a little eggnog into some powdered sugar until the sugar has been absorbed you have reached a spreadable consistency. Spoon a little into the center of the cookie and use the back of the spoon to spread the icing out toward the edges. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg if desired.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...