Hye Thyme Cafe: Chocolate Chip Orange Oatmeal Cookies

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, December 19, 2010

Chocolate Chip Orange Oatmeal Cookies



This is one of those cookies that has been kicking around in my recipe box for years and I just haven't gotten around to trying it. It's a cross between a crispy oatmeal cookie and a chocolate chip cookie, with a hint of orange. I found it in a community newspaper, so I don't know the original source. The only changes I really made were to increase the orange - extra zest and a few drops of orange extract, and running a knife through the chocolate chips so there would be some chips with flecks throughout - wasn't expecting them to come out so dark, so that really didn't matter in this case. Even with all that additional orange, it's still pretty subtle.

INGREDIENTS :
2 c old-fashioned oats
1 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3/4 c unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 t orange zest  (I used a whole orange and a few drops of extract)
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips 

OK, I apparently goofed - sort of. I guess I've got so many recipes in my head this week, I'm starting to combine them! I was thinking this recipe called for DARK Brown Sugar, but it just says brown sugar, so that must be my next recipe coming up. So, if you make them with light brown sugar, they'll probably be a little less crispy, and if you run a knife through the chips, you might stand a chance of seeing those flecks I was talking about.  😉

Preheat oven to 375 and line baking sheets with parchment.

In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, baking soda, and salt.


In another bowl, beat together the cool butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, orange extract, and zest, just until combined, then stir in the chips. 







 








Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto parchment-lined trays, about 1 1/2" apart. Bake for 15" until cookies are golden and edges are crisp. Cool on tray for a minute or two before removing to racks to cool completely.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...