Hye Thyme Cafe: Archway Cookies - A Challenge of a Different Sort

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, December 4, 2010

Archway Cookies - A Challenge of a Different Sort

If you're like me, still a kid at heart, any opportunity to play with your food is a good thing. Well, Babette over at Bakespace recently got together with the folks at Archway to put on a holiday cookie display challenge. It didn't need to be a "scene" made out of the cookies, just something holiday related, but I couldn't resist. There were 16 participants in this particular challenge, and we were each supplied with a shipment of Archway's holiday cookie assortment.  


 
 There were . . . 

  • Candy Cane
  • Snow Top
  • Wedding Cake
  • Cashew Nougat
  • Gingerbread
  • Iced Gingerbread
  • Pfeffernusse





The Gingerbread Men are a given, but after that, I think the new Candy Cane cookies were my favorite.

My first thought was to make a winter scene, using the Snow Top cookies for snow-covered ground, the Wedding Cake and Pfeffernusse for an ice rink, turn the Gingerbread Men into skaters and then somehow incorporate the others. I realized I didn't have enough cookies to make a big enough base, so I had to switch gears.

Then I thought about pulling a few of my Dept. 56 Dickens Village pieces out of the attic to set a street scene, using the Gingerbread Men for holiday shoppers, etc. and make a big Christmas Tree with the rest. By the time I got around to actually setting up my scene, I was the only one home, so the attic was out of the question ... I have a fear of the stairs/ladder collapsing under me. Being home alone if that happened didn't feel like something I wanted to risk at the moment, so I switched gears again ...

Soooooo, I came up with another use for my little Gingerbread buddies. They turned into a chorale group, complete with a conductor and spectators. For the Christmas tree, I found a shot glass and wrapped it in a piece from a paper bag to form the trunk, then cut out two layers of sturdy cardboard as a base to hold the cookies, and carefully piled them in layers to incorporate each variety.

While I was setting up my carolers and forming the "rock wall" cookie amphitheater around them, my sister sneaked in the other room and made a music stand for my conductor! Whatever you do, don't try to read his music! LOL - It's been a million years since I've had to read music, so I did not attempt to actually write a few measures. That was just my scribbles for effect. My audience even has a little shopping bag sporting the Archway logo, which can also be found on the conductor's platform. :)

I don't know what happened with the 16th person - there are only 15 showing up with the pics. Maybe they got wrapped up [pun intended] in their holiday shopping and forgot about us. That's too bad, because the winner of this particular challenge gets a $275 gift card. If you're interested in checking out the other scenes and/or voting for your favorite, check them out at ... http://networkedblogs.com/bkWCx






4 comments:

  1. I LOVE your scene, Chris! So cute! I kind of wish I had used more of the cookies in mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't a requirement to use them all, just seemed like a good idea at the time. I love your garland!! Brings me back to stringing popcorn and cranberries for one of our trees every year. We had a huge "regular" tree upstairs in the family or living room, then a small tree we cut down ourselves with Dad downstairs in the game room with all the ornaments we made at school each year, popcorn and cranberry garland, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun, Chris! :-) I'll hop right over and vote for you. ...Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, thank you Susan! I was surprised when I took a peek and saw how many votes I have. I figured it would be one of those things where everyone votes for their friend, but I don't know most of the people who voted for my pic. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...