Hye Thyme Cafe: Apple Chips

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Apple Chips



I've heard so many people talking about dehydrating stuff lately, especially apples, that I had to finally break down and give it a shot. I actually think our oven has a dehydrating feature, but I was the only one home and don't know where the directions live, so I just turned it to its lowest setting which, in this case, was 250.  

I used three different apples - McIntosh, Empire, and Fuji, and used a mandoline to slice them paper thin. I put the slices on parchment-lined trays and sprinkled about half with a little cinnamon. As it turns out, those are the ones you can see that I tried to hide on the bottom that came out extra toasty. 😉

I put all three trays in one oven and about an hour in, I flipped all of the apples slices over, turned the trays around and rotated the top tray to the bottom and the other two up. I  only flipped the apples once, but I rotated the trays twice more. It took a little over two hours at 250.

Although I do like them, I wasn't actually expecting them to be crisp. I assumed they would be more chewy, so I think next time I make them, I'll slice them a tad thicker and either NOT use the cinnamon or keep a closer eye on that tray! Definitely an easy/healthy snack though!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...