Hye Thyme Cafe: Angel Lemon Pie

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, December 30, 2010

Angel Lemon Pie

Angel Lemon Pie : Hye Thyme Cafe

My Mom has been making this pie for as far back as I can remember. Unfortunately, I have no idea where it originated. If I did know, I would send them a Thank You note, because this is absolutely my all time favorite! I don't know why I never bust out with one of these during the summer. I seem to only make pies around the holidays. I love this one so much it's hard to contemplate veering away from it, but I really need to try it with orange or key lime sometime.

MERINGUE :
4 egg whites
1/4 scant t cream of tartar
1 c sifted powdered sugar

FILLING :
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 c sugar
3 T lemon juice
3 T lemon zest
1/8 t salt
1 c whipping cream



Preheat oven to 275 and lightly butter pie plate. We love this pie so much that I started automatically doubling the filling. If you're using bigger than a 10" plate, you might want to increase the meringue as well. I was using an 11" this time, so I increased it by half, but ended up with more than I needed. I was afraid it would be too skimpy since it does shrink a little as it sits.


MERINGUE:  Sift the powdered sugar. Separate the eggs, putting the yolks in the fridge (covered) until you're ready to make the filling. Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form, then gradually add the sifted powdered sugar until stiff peaks form again. 







Line the buttered pie plate with the meringue, using a spatula to push it up the sides, forming a shell. You want the center to be shallower so you have room for the filling. Bake for about an hour until nicely browned, then allow to cool on a rack.











FILLING:  Stirring frequently, blend the yolks, sugar, lemon juice, zest, and salt in the top of a double boiler until thick. You can see my fancy double boiler - a Pyrex bowl set over a simmering pot of water. You can tell it's getting thick when you run your spatula through the mixture and the trail stays for a second before filling itself in again. I always add extra lemon juice (and/or zest and/or extract) toward the end. Remove from heat and let cool.  


 








When the yolk mixture is cool, whip the cream, then gently fold the two together, and fill the pie shell.  

 








Chill until set, then cover loosely with waxed paper until ready to serve, at which time, you can garnish with whatever you like - blueberries, blackberries, kiwi slices, strawberries, etc.  I also add a little extra zest at that point as well. Heck if you're making a lemon pie, you can't have too much lemon!  😏

Angel Lemon Pie : Hye Thyme Cafe














Angel Lemon Pie : Hye Thyme Cafe

15 comments:

  1. Wow, Chris...and I thought I had invented it. LOL Seriously, I had to make one for my MIL (I usually make chocolate angel pie), but I didn't have a recipe. Mine turned out very similar to yours. I made one for New Years and the last piece went today. I used Cool Whip in the middle (blasphemy, I know), because it makes it a tad bit lighter...but then I put whipped cream on top. Yours is beautiful with the fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Cathy. :) I was so tired and sore by the time I got to the pie that I just sort of threw the strawberries on it, but that didn't affect the taste! ;) I like it so much as it is I'm afraid to change it by trying the Cool Whip, but maybe if I'm in a rush sometime. I really need to try it with key lime for my brother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pie just seems like it would be awesome any time of year. Love it, and also like the idea of the lime and orange version. I love the fruit on top of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny you should say that since I need to make two tomorrow. Maybe I'll do a better job with the top and can swap out the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from the Tuesday Archive Link Up and I wanted to say hi!

    Misfit Librarian
    http://misfitlibrariansadventures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful!! And sounds yummy! Thanks for visiting my blog today and for your comment! Visiting from TALU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's definitely a lot tastier than this picture looks. I think I was in a rush that day and just kind of threw the fruit on at the last minute.

      Delete
  7. Awwww man that looks soooooo delicious. I've recently discovered that eggs have turned on me :-(. So far I've only scratched the cooked eggs and potato salad. I forgot all about the pies like this. Hmmmm. It's beautiful, I'm pinning so someone else will try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad that I ate it before seeing the recipe. For some reason, if I knew the filling had eggs in it beforehand, I might not have tried it. Sorry to hear they're giving you issues. I'm not big on eggs when they're the star star of the show, but I certainly use them in baking, etc. :(

      Thanks for pinning! :)

      Delete
  8. The orange version sounds like it would be delicious! I don't like the taste of lemon, but it never occurred to me you could just substitute. Actually that chocolate version mentioned in the comments sounds awfully good too. (TALU)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, now that you mention it, I still haven't gotten around to trying orange. I did made it with Key Limes once. That was really good. Maybe I'll try the orange for Thanksgiving next week.

      Since you mentioned you don't like lemon, I was going to joke that you are not welcome here, but in thinking about it, that just leaves more lemons for meeeeeeeee!!! ;)

      Delete
  9. That's a beautiful pie. The thought of all that light and luscious lemon is making me hungry! (TALU)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, because the filling (and the crust for that matter) is so light, even after a big holiday meal, you still have room for dessert. ;)

      Delete
  10. My family is a huge fan of lemon meringue pie, but I don't like the recipe my mom uses. The packaged jello stuff. Your's I can get behind. Once I get my kitchen back, I'll have to try this. Really, I need to try just about everything on this blog. Or, you could move to Indy and just make it for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like the filling in the traditional Lemon Meringue pie, but most of my family doesn't like pie crust - they prefer Apple Crisp over Apple Pie, etc. Either way, if I had the choice of a Lemon Meringue and this, I would always pick this one! And if I did live closer, I'd love to cook with/for you. I don't always have success, but I love the play in the kitchen! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...