Hye Thyme Cafe: Thanksgiving Egg Rolls

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving Egg Rolls


I have to thank Aaron McCargo, Jr. for this idea. It's been rolling around in my head ever since I saw his recipe a few years back. I just never had enough leftovers to try it! This year, we cooked two turkeys, just to make sure everyone had their fill of the Fully Loaded Thanksgiving Sandwiches the next day. Even after all the sandwiches, we had more leftovers, so I just had to jump in and try these!

I think Aaron's were strictly turkey and dressing, with a gravy dipping sauce. I threw in a few extras. We were thinking that everything was a similar texture, so I minced a stalk of celery and about half of a carrot and mixed that up with some chopped/shredded turkey, stuffing, pilaf, and a few spoonfuls of homemade whole-berry cranberry sauce. Then I sprinkled and mixed in a little poultry seasoning, thyme, salt, and pepper.



To roll them, place a wonton skin on your work surface, with a corner facing you. Put a blob of filling on the bottom third, roll that corner up over it, pulling back to kind of tuck it under a little if you can, then fold in the sides and continue rolling to the outside corner, wetting the corner first to seal it closed.





I baked them on a lightly sprayed tray at 350 until golden, but I was reminded why I haven't baked egg rolls for several years...I don't like them that way!! I will definitely be making these again, but I'll deep fry them next time. I was thinking I'd give the kitchen a break after all the abuse it took leading up to and through the holiday and bake them tonight, but I much prefer the texture of egg rolls fried. I served them up with the leftover homemade cranberry sauce, but if you've got any gravy left, have at it! Just a warning, these babies retained their heat for a while when they came out of the oven, so be careful!!

6 comments:

  1. This is such a clever way to use leftovers! I never think of anything more interesting than a sandwich to use up my Thanksgiving remains!

    - Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can't claim the "idea," but I'm glad I tried them! Actually surprised I didn't think of it before. We've made all kinds of things in egg rolls - buffalo chicken, leftover filling from an Armenian dish, etc. Maybe I would have gotten around to it eventually, but Aaron McCargo, Jr. beat me to it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great recipe!! baked or fried...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were good. Just don't try to bite into one straight out of the oven. Hot-hot-hot! OUCH!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a delicious blog! here is so many inspirations!

    have a nice time,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Paula! I'm new to this whole blog thing, so that's very nice to hear! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...