Hye Thyme Cafe: Sweet and Spicy Edemame

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sweet and Spicy Edemame

I can't remember why I was there, maybe I was just a tag-along that day, but I was wandering through a local health food store a while back, and at the end of one of the aisles,  a pouch of Pomegranate Powder caught my eye.  At the time, I was participating in a Sabra Hummus Mediterranean Food Challenge on BakeSpace and was contemplating doing something with a home-made yogurt, so I grabbed it with that in mind. I did submit a number of recipes, but none of them included the Pomegranate Powder - no word yet on a winner.  

In looking online for ideas, I saw that the powder is used primarily in smoothies and a few Indian dishes. I've never been a smoothie person for some reason. I love everything that goes into them. I just never bothered smushing all of the ingredients together in a smoothie. As for the Indian dishes, I may get around to trying them, but there were too many other ingredients I didn't have on hand. Then I came across someone who mentioned that they toss edemame with garlic, butter, salt, and pomegranate powder. We love edemame, so that caught my attention and stuck with me. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read that now, or I'd include a link to the page.

I ended up getting confused by what I was reading because some sites spoke of the powder being tart like a pomegranate, while others spoke of it having a slightly bitter taste, and more than one company spoke of their product as being the skin of the pomegranate, while others were the seeds, etc., so I had no idea what was in the pouch at that point! When I tasted it, it was very fruity/tart, just like the fruit!

We didn't have any particular dinner plans for tonight, so I figured it was a good chance to experiment.

INGREDIENTS :
1 T butter
2 t minced garlic with red pepper
12 oz edemame
1 1/2 T pomegranate powder
1 t paprika
salt and pepper


I brought the butter and garlic up to temp and sauteed the edemame until it was heated through, then I "attempted" to stir in the Pomegranate Powder. When it hit the pan, it turned into a blob of glue, so I pulled it out and tried again - fair waning, sprinkle gently. Once I got that to cooperate, I stirred in the paprika and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. I did end up actually sprinkling more Pomegranate Powder over it when I plated mine, because I wasn't really tasting it that much. Balanced against the peppers in the garlic, it turned out to be a nice contrast!  





I would definitely make this again - with more of the Pomegranate Powder - and maybe some onion or diced yellow or orange bell pepper for color.

So later, I was still thinking about what else you could do with it, and since it wasn't bitter, I was thinking dessert. I always hear pastry chefs talking about how they pour flavored syrups over cakes for moisture and to infuse flavor, so that was my first thought - would the powder dissolve well in a simple syrup? What kind of cake would I use? My sister makes an awesome lemon sponge ... then I started thinking about baking a cake in a thin layer in a sheet pan, cutting out small rounds and layering them like a napoleon with some sort of creamy mixture and maybe some fruit with whipped cream on top ... hmmm, what about whipping the pom powder into the cream??? Then I remembered that I also bought some Agave Nectrar but haven't done anything with that yet. What about that instead of simple syrup??? This is why I never sleep. My brain just goes on and on from one thought to another. It can get pretty weird in there sometimes! I think I'm baking bread tomorrow, so maybe I'll play with a dessert for Thursday.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...