Hye Thyme Cafe: Pomegranate-Lemon Verrine

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pomegranate-Lemon Verrine

This was another experiment for using a pouch of pomegranate powder I picked up a while back. It turned out great! I used the recipe for Pomegranate and Honey Yogurt Verrines on Life of a Foodie as a template and adjusted it to what I had on hand.  

Yummy dessert, but a lousy pic - doesn't pick up the beautiful color of the pomegranate side!  The "lime garnish" is an optical illusion. It's in a bowl behind the glass.




POMEGRANATE LAYER :
1 1/2 c water
1 c pomegranate powder
2 T sugar
1 packet (about 1T) plain gelatin powder
1/4 c cold water

Measure out your 1c water and pour it into a small pot with the pomegranate powder and stir to dissolve. The powder tends to be gummy, so I just used the back of a spoon to break up any clumps against the side of the pot.  

Pour another 1/4c water into your measuring cup, sprinkle in the gelatin powder and let that sit.

Add the sugar to the water/pomegranate mixture and heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the gelatin and let cool a bit.


While that's cooling down , you can make room in the fridge for whatever glasses you're going to use. Over on Life of a Foodie, they tilted their glasses in an egg carton. I was using stemmed glasses, so I rolled up a couple of dish towels, leaving a "tail" so the bottoms of the glasses were also on the towel.

Once the pom mixture has cooled a bit, hold one of your glasses at an angle, carefully spoon or pour in the mixture to whatever height you want and place it on its perch in the fridge. This was four good-sized servings for us. If you want to use smaller glasses, you can easily stretch it to six. Let that chill for at least an hour until it sets enough for you to be able to straighten the glass without the gel moving.

 Peeking in my fridge huh?  Let's see, what's in there ...
Looks like a bag of pine nuts, some leftover chicken pot pie
filling, a container of yeast, and a spoon sticking out of a cup of 
chocolate ganache.  So what's in your fridge???

LEMON LAYER :
1T cream cheese, softened
1 t sugar
16 oz lemon yogurt
8 oz vanilla yogurt
1/2 packet (1 1/2 t) gelatin powder

I had just picked up a bunch of single-serve yogurts the other day, and I figured lemon and pomegranate go well together, so I would use those for the other side. I only had two lemon yogurts though, so I used the two lemon and one vanilla. I was glad it worked out that way, because it was a nice balance with the pomegranate. I think it would have been too strong with all lemon.

Whip together the softened cream cheese with the sugar until light and fluffy, then pour in two of the yogurts, sprinkle in the gelatin powder, and top with the remaining yogurt. Let that sit for a minute or two, then beat well to combine. I honestly have absolutely no idea why you do that, but every recipe I have seen that uses the clear gelatin has you add it to a liquid and let it sit for two minutes before proceeding.

Make sure your pomegranate layer is well set, then spoon in the yogurt mixture. You can stand them upright now.  











Let them chill for another hour or so for the yogurt side to set, then garnish as desired. I happened to have been handed a pomegranate, so I sprinkled a few seeds on top. You might want to add a sprig of mint leaves, a slice of kiwi, some lemon or lime zest ...

After dinner, I actually went back to the computer to look up the word "Verrine." It's apparently just a fancy way of saying "layers," but if you do a Google Image Search, it pulls up some pretty cool looking stuff.

2 comments:

  1. These look so pretty! they would make a very festive Christmas-y dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. That is something to keep in mind actually, or a cranberry version for the holidays even. Hmmm, cranberry with lime on the other side?? I just made it last night and was actually asked to make it again tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...