Hye Thyme Cafe: Chocolate Dipped Phyllo Straws

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, November 22, 2010

Chocolate Dipped Phyllo Straws

 

I realize that being Armenian, I'm pre-programmed to eat pretty much anything wrapped in phyllo, but these things are addictive!! I figured we needed a few sweet treats for the Pampered Chef party the other day, but since the holidays are coming up, I didn't want to make something over the top, figuring people were saving up their calories. I had seen a version of these in A Taste of Home and thought I would give them a try, along with a stuffed strawberry I'll post tomorrow. For whatever reason, this was the one thing that nobody really went after. Thankfully (sniffle) a friend took most of them home for her kids so I wouldn't eat them all!!

INGREDIENTS :
Phyllo
cinnamon 
sugar
melted butter
chocolate
whatever goodies you want to dunk them in
cooking spray


If you look at the Taste of Home version, they buttered each layer and rolled the phyllo, then sprinkled the cinnamon sugar, dunked in dark chocolate, then drizzled with white. I did it a little differently.

First, you will want to mix up some cinnamon and sugar in whatever ratio you like. I did it right in a  small paper cup so I could just shake it over the phyllo. Then melt some butter. I think I nuked about 1/3 of a stick in a glass measuring cup. I usually clarify my butter when making Paklava or Spinach Pie, etc., but I didn't bother for these. You certainly can if you want to take that extra step, but you will need to start with more butter.

Remove the phyllo from the box, and slice right through the plastic sleeve, about four inches down the roll, wrapping the excess in foil and freezing it for another use.




Open up the roll, peel off two sheets of phyllo and place them on your work surface with the short end toward you. Brush with butter, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. I started off a little light, as pictured, then got more generous with the filling as I went on. I'd go a little thicker than pictured, but not too much more. You want to be able to taste the filling through the chocolate.



Start rolling until you get to the thickness of a straw or thin breadstick, then slice it off and start again. Layer the rolls, seam side down, on a lightly sprayed baking sheet. Phyllo size varies greatly by brand, but I was able to get 3-4 straws out of each strip.

Either brush the tops with butter or give them a shot of cooking spray, then bake at 425 for 3-5" until golden.

While they're cooling, you can rummage through your pantry and find things you might want to dip them in - sanding sugars, coconut, chopped nuts, etc. I settled on some white sanding sugar, chopped pistachios, and candied orange peel I had made to go with my stuffed strawberries.

If you are going to use chocolate chips for your dip, you might want to add a teaspoon or so of Crisco. Because I like their creamy texture, I opted to use some milk chocolate Dove candies. If you use that type of chocolate, you do not need to add the Crisco. I have gotten into the habit of melting my chocolate in the microwave. Because it was the shortest, narrowest, microwave-safe vessel I had, I melted the chocolate in a glass one-cup measuring cup. It was the perfect height to let me dunk the straws. I hovered over the cup for a few seconds to drain off the excess, then sprinkled the nuts, etc., and placed the straws on waxed paper to set.








8 comments:

  1. They really are, and they're stupid easy!! I sometimes make my Paklava like this ... roll the nuts, cinnamon and sugar in the phyllo (bigger than these), smush them so they're wrinkly, and pour the syrup over them when they're done. I think it's easier to eat that way too - not as crumbly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sounds delicious. I don't like paklava because I'm not a big fan of nuts in dessert, so these seem like something I'd like.

    And paklava that's rolled up like this is called burma (although I think it's usually rolled around a dowel and then pushed together to make it tighter).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of nuts in most things either - although I like eating nuts just by themselves. Gotta love Paklava though! Maybe you're just used to having it with too much nuts or too big. I chop mine pretty fine and don't use a ton.

    I think the dowel might help in the squishing department, but I've never thought about it ahead of time to pick up a skinny one. Some people use the handle of a wooden spoon, but I don't get that at all - too thick!! I was thinking the birds nests were bourma, but you're right, it's the sticks. Now I don't know what the nests are called. LOL - those I don't think I could wrap right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious. I've seen them already made and box. And I KNOW they can't be a fresh and good as yours look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know about that, but they are definitely addictive! I can only make a little at a time or I'll eat them ALL! Love coating them in different sprinkles.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Me too! That's why I don't make them more often. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...