Hye Thyme Cafe: Stuffed Meatloaf

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, October 28, 2010

Stuffed Meatloaf

Stuffed Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe


Growing up in the Boston area, I don't remember this show, so I'm not sure if it's because it was before I was really into cooking, or it came along after I left the state. What I do know is that whenever I visit friends there now, I love to stay in on Sunday mornings and watch The Phantom Gourmet. The Phantom visits and rates restaurants and bakeries around the area, conducts product testing, etc., and the findings are reported on the show. When I noticed that they have a website, I started browsing through the recipes and found one I was just dying to try! I was told in no uncertain terms that the BBQ Meatloaf we make is the best meatloaf ever, so there was no reason to mess with it. I couldn't resist and sneaked this in one night. It was very well received! Glad I didn't listen to the Peanut Gallery!!

The only "complaint" I have about this is the bacon element - sorry about the picture - can't remember if it fell off or I helped it off and ate it before taking this shot. There are two problems with this - first is that the cooking time stated doesn't actually cook the bacon through. I'm afraid of drying out the rest, so I do leave it in for a few extra minutes, but then I put the broiler on to finish off the bacon. Second - either I need to find longer bacon, or I stuff it too much, because mine pops open. I've made it three times now, so I'm thinking maybe next time, I'll try the basket weave technique.

INGREDIENTS :
1/2 pound bacon slices 
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
2 eggs
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 T mint -- chopped
1/2 T garlic -- minced
1 t salt and pepper -- as needed
2 T parsley -- minced
4 oz prosciutto -- sliced thin
4 oz mozzarella cheese
4 oz roasted red pepper -- sliced
10 oz spinach -- cooked and drained  


Combine beef, pork, egg, crumbs, cheese, mint, garlic and seasoning. 

Stuffed Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe
Stuffed Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe 








Lay out two overlapping sheets of plastic wrap to serve as your work surface. It will later help you to roll the meatloaf.

Lay slices of bacon side by side along the top half, then spread the meat mixture along the bottom half.


MMMMMMMM, bacon!

Stuffed Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe

Stuffed Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe

Next you want to sprinkle half of the mozzarella over the meat, cover that with the prosciutto slices, and another layer of mozzarella.

Stuffed Meatloaf : Hye Thyme CafeStuffed Meatloaf : Hye Thyme CafeStuffed Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe


Next you're going to spread the cooked spinach over the cheese, and arrange the pepper slices over that. Season with salt and pepper, and you're ready to roll - literally and figuratively.  😉


Stuffed Meatloaf : Hye Thyme CafeStuffed Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe


Pick up the plastic wrap closest to you and use it to help roll the loaf into a spiral - like you would use a bamboo mat to roll sushi. Then transfer to a lightly sprayed tray (I put down foil first for easy clean-up).

Stuffed Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe

Stuffed Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe 













Season the top with black pepper and bake at 350 for about 30" (internal temp of 145). As I mentioned above, I ended up letting it cook for a few extra minutes, then turning the broiler on to finish off the bacon. Remove from oven and tent with foil - let rest for about 10" before slicing.

Stuffed Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe


Stuffed Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe and the links.
    I'm checkin' out the TV show and your friends site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! You might have trouble with the link. I think she has been doing some re-vamping of her blog, so that link might be broken, but you can find it here... http://ddpiesslice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...