Hye Thyme Cafe: Spinach Roulade

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, October 10, 2010

Spinach Roulade

Spinach Roulade : Hye Thyme Cafe
I was making BBQ Meatloaf for dinner last night and planned to make Maque Choux as one of my sides. I remembered that I had seen a Spinach Roulade in Good Housekeeping a while back and thought it would be cool to do that with the Maque Choux, so I added some grated Pepperjack Cheese to act as a bit of a binder, then made the Spinach Roulade to surround it. If you Google the Good Housekeeping recipe, you will see that either their Food Stylist went to town on it, or they mis-listed the quantity of spinach required, because theirs appears uniformly green, where you definitely see the whites in mine!

INGREDIENTS :
6 lg eggs, separated
1/2 c 2% milk
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry  (increase amount)
1/4 t salt

Not that I knew ahead of time how light this would turn out, but because we had an over-abundance of fresh basil yesterday, I went ahead and included a bunch of basil leaves to the mix. Had I not done that, it would have been even lighter. Hmmmm ???

Preheat oven to 350, then line a 15.5x10.5 jelly-roll pan with foil, leaving about 2" of overhang on the short ends, and generously spray with cooking spray. I didn't have a jelly-roll that size, but I did have a baking sheet, so I just folded the foil up all four sides like for a souffle, so it would climb rather than overflowing. Break out the food process or blender ... toss in the yolks, spinach and milk, and give it a whirl to puree.

Spinach Roulade : Hye Thyme Cafe

Next you want to whip your egg whites with the 1/4 t of salt until they form stiff peaks. In three stages, gently fold the spinach mixture into the whites, then spread evenly in your prepared pan, and bake 10-12" until set.

Spinach Roulade : Hye Thyme Cafe
Spinach Roulade : Hye Thyme Cafe









Using the foil overhang, slide the roulade out of the pan and gently peel down the sides of the foil. Don't tell anyone, but I cheated from here ... You're supposed to spread the filling across the roulade to within one inch of the long side farthest from you and roll it like you would any jelly-roll. I had the feeling I was going to make a mess of it and stick my thumb through it or something, so I piled the Maque Choux in a line down the middle, lifted the foil with the side of the roulade closest to me over the top, then kind of gave it a little squeeze like rolling sushi to tuck it as I rolled it to overlap the other side. That one roll seemed much easier to me!  

Using a serrated knife, slice into about 1" thick slices and carefully lift them onto your plates to avoid losing your filling. Although we all enjoyed this, and it looked cool plated, we all forgot that I had added basil to the spinach because none of us tasted it. I will definitely make this again, but will add more spinach and some sort of additional seasoning with it.

Spinach Roulade : Hye Thyme Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...