Hye Thyme Cafe: Quinoa Sesame/Poppy Seed Crackers

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Quinoa Sesame/Poppy Seed Crackers

About two years ago, I was online looking for a recipe and stumbled across BakeSpace. Since then, I have spent a lot of time there - posting recipes, chatting in the forums, asking questions, answering questions, finding great recipes, and even winning a few prizes. In one of the chat forums, the group typically throws out a random challenge for the month - not for a prize or anything, just for the fun of it, to see what everyone can come up with. Last month, we decided to focus on recipes using Quinoa. I made a few recipes with whole Quinoa, but I wanted to try something with Quinoa Flour. I came across this recipe on Bob's Red Mill and decided to give it a try. 


INGREDIENTS (as written on Bob's Red Mill) :
1 c Organic Quinoa Flour
1 c White Flour, Unbleached
1 t Sesame Seeds (Natural Brown)
1 t Baking Powder
1/2 t Sea Salt
3 T + 1t Sesame Oil
1/2 to 2/3 c Water

GLAZE :
2 t Natural Soy Sauce or Tamari
2 t Sesame Oil

Preheat oven to 425. Oil an open-sided baking sheet and set aside. (This probably isn't the best idea when making crackers, but I'm pre-programmed to bake everything on parchment, and I don't own an open-sided baking sheet.)

Combine the flours, seeds, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl. With finger tips, rub in the oil. Add water in three stages to form a workable, but soft dough. Cover and let rest for 10". (I am pretty sure I used more than 1t of sesame seeds but will use even more next time. I also added an equal amount of poppy seeds. I definitely needed more water than indicated to get the dough to bind.)


Roll out cracker dough on the prepared baking sheets to 1/16" thickness. Cut into 1 1/2" strips. (OK, this is where I kinda screwed up. I had sized my parchment to my tray, so I rolled the dough out on the parchment, and stopped when I got to the edges. Then I slid the parchment onto my tray. Next time, I'll split the dough in half and definitely roll it to the noted 1/16" thickness. Mine were too thick. I also didn't want strips, so I went ahead and used a pastry wheel to cut them into squares.)

In a small saucer, combine soy sauce and sesame oil. Brush glaze over the crackers. Bake 5-7" or until the crackers are lightly browned. Cool on rack. (Because I had rolled the dough too thick, I kept them in for a few extra minutes, then left them in the oven when I turned it off.)











I will definitely be making these tasty little snacks again, but I will also definitely be rolling out the dough the way I was supposed to, adding more seeds, and maybe a sprinkle of sea salt on top before baking.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...