Hye Thyme Cafe: Mexican Shepherd's Pie

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, October 29, 2010

Mexican Shepherd's Pie

Mexican Shepherd's Pie : Hye Thyme Cafe

I was standing in front of the fridge on night thinking OK, we've had chicken already this week, we've had potatoes, rice, pasta ... and there's ground beef in here.  Hmmmm, need to come up with something different.  I jumped online for ideas and came across a version of this easy dish.  I liked the idea that the topping was cornbread mix rather than mashed potatoes, and we all love tacos and anything leaning in the direction of spicy.


INGREDIENTS :
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 onion - chopped
1 small yellow or orange bell pepper - chopped
salt and pepper to taste
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (I used Delmonte Zesty Jalapeno) - slightly drained

1.25 oz pkg taco seasoning
1 T flour
11 oz can whole kernel corn - drained
8.5 pkg corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
1 c shredded cheddar or pepperjack
2.25 oz can sliced black olives 

optional - sour cream and fresh cilantro for garnish


Preheat oven to 400 and lightly spray casserole dish with non-stick spray.


Prepare muffin mix according to package and set aside for now.  (If you want a little extra kick, try stirring in some diced jalapeno).

Mexican Shepherd's Pie : Hye Thyme Cafe
 

Brown the beef with the onion and pepper, drain the grease, then season with salt and pepper.  Stir in the tomatoes and let that cook down for a few minutes, then add in the taco seasoning.  Mix in the olives  (reserving some for garnish) then, sprinkle in a little of the flour and mix well to thicken - adding more as needed - although you're not trying to turn this into a pudding, you don't want it to be really soupy.  Kinda depends on how much liquid your veggies give off.

Mexican Shepherd's Pie : Hye Thyme CafeMexican Shepherd's Pie : Hye Thyme CafeMexican Shepherd's Pie : Hye Thyme Cafe

Transfer for baking dish and sprinkle with cheese, then layer with corn.  

Mexican Shepherd's Pie : Hye Thyme CafeMexican Shepherd's Pie : Hye Thyme CafeMexican Shepherd's Pie : Hye Thyme Cafe


Top it all off with the cornbread batter and bake for 20" until golden. Serve garnished with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkling of black olives, and some fresh cilantro.



2 comments:

  1. I could and would easily devour that big little pile of yummyness pictured on that plate. Sometimes I lean way too far over in the direction of spicy food. I love the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird timing! One of my nephews is home from college this month, so I was JUST saying I would need to make this for him before he goes back. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...