Hye Thyme Cafe: Maque Choux

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, October 10, 2010

Maque Choux


I moved from Cape Cod to the New Orleans area in 1993 (Moved back East after Hurricane Katrina), and I noticed that whenever we went out to lunch, one of the attorneys I was working for at the time would ALWAYS order Maque Choux as her side dish. She would even sometimes sound offended if the restaurant didn't offer it as an option. I thought it was just a pretentious word for corn and didn't realize it was actually a traditional Southern Louisiana dish, so I never really paid any attention to it. I wish I had. Several months ago, we were planning to have corn with dinner the next night, but it just sounded blah, so I decided to look for something different to do with it. As I was wandering around the internet, I remembered the Maque Choux. I looked up a few recipes, pulled the elements that interested me, and played around with it to come up with my own version. Aside from being delicious, it also makes for a very colorful addition to your table ... and there's bacon in it - what's not to love about that?!  :)

INGREDIENTS:
3 T butter
3 T EVOO
2 (1 lb each) bags Birds Eye Baby Gold & White Corn
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3-4 scallions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced  (or 2t jarred minced garlic with red peppers)
1 t sea salt
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1 t paprika
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1 can Delmonte Zesty Jalapeno Petite Diced Tomatoes
1 T sugar
6 slices well-cooked bacon, crumbled


Chop up all of your veggies and crumble the bacon, then melt the butter in olive oil over medium heat.  


Add to the pan your corn, onion, peppers and scallions, stirring often until the onions are translucent. 

Maque Choux : Hye Thyme Cafe

Maque Choux : Hye Thyme CafeAdd the garlic and saute a minute or so to infuse the flavor, stirring to make sure it doesn't scorch, then add your salt, pepper, cayenne, and paprika.

Add the tomatoes, bring up to a boil, then lower to a simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the bacon just before serving, and garnish with a sprinkle of  reserved sliced scallions.

Maque Choux : Hye Thyme Cafe

YUM!!  I could have just that for dinner! 

OK, so last night, I was making this to go along with BBQ Meatloaf and some mashed Russet/Sweet potatoes. I had seen a picture of a Spinach Roulade in Good Housekeeping forever ago but had never gotten around to trying it. I didn't like the sound of whatever their filling was - must have included mushrooms - but I thought it would be great for the Maque Choux. I was thinking there should probably be some sort of binding agent, so I went ahead and melted some Pepperjack Cheese into the Maque Choux, then went ahead and prepared the Spinach Roulade . . .  (See Recipe)



2 comments:

  1. It is that good - you could definitely skip everything else and just eat this. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...