Hye Thyme Cafe: Jalapeno Relish

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, October 14, 2010

Jalapeno Relish

Jalapeno Relish : Hye Thyme Cafe
Why didn't I try this sooner?!?

One of the law firms I used to work for in New Orleans had its own cafeteria. Every day, you could order off a standard menu, but there were two additional options that would be emailed in the morning in case anyone wanted to pre-order, etc. I'm kinda grossed out at the thought of hot dogs, but it's one of those things that I do look for once or twice a year. So one day, the menu caught my attention because hot dogs with jalapeno relish was one of the additional offerings. Hmmmm ...

I absolutely LOVED it!  I couldn't get it off my mind, so the next day, I shot them an email asking for the recipe. Sadly, the chef just kinda threw it together on a whim and wasn't sure what he did, much less in what amounts. Several years later, I still had a post-it stuck inside my recipe box noting . . . "jalapeno, vidalia, carrot, cucumber, tomato, lemon, dill vinegar???"

One night this summer, we were going to have burgers and dogs out on the grill, and it finally occurred to me to throw this together. Everyone loved it. Now I'm mad at myself for not having done it a long time ago!!  :)

I suppose you could throw it all in your food processor, but I prefer hand-cut from a visual standpoint.

INGREDIENTS :
3-4 jalapenos, (mostly) seeded then grilled and finely diced
1 large vidalia onion, finely diced
1 large carrot, finely diced
1 cucumber, seeded and finely diced (I prefer English or pickling cukes - firmer and fewer seeds)
1 tomato, seeds removed and finely diced
juice of one lemon
1/4 c fresh chopped cilantro
1/4 c white vinegar

I like to make it a little bit ahead of time to give the flavors a chance to meld. I make it in a bowl with a cover and flip it now and a gain to distribute the vinegar. It was great on the burgers too, and I'm thinking I might try it with a small pasta - orzo maybe - and add some oil to make it a bright pasta salad.

Jalapeno Relish : Hye Thyme Cafe








2 comments:

  1. Well, I'll share my recipe ... just don't reach for my bowl!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...