Hye Thyme Cafe: Giada's Roman Style Chicken

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, October 31, 2010

Giada's Roman Style Chicken


I saw this on Food Network at some point and had it on my list of things to try for ages! One night, I noticed an open jar of capers in the fridge, so it finally popped into my head to try it.  It was definitely well received and has been added to our rotation of chicken dishes for future reference. Thanks Giada!!  :)

The original recipe calls for chicken on the bone and dark meat, but since both totally skeeve most of my family, I stuck with the boneless white meat. Giada also uses fresh Oregano, but so little that I wasn't going to bother buying it and having the rest go to waste. I don't think I've ever used fresh oregano to know how different it might taste from dried, so I omitted it completely rather than swapping. We're also red wine drinkers, and she uses white, so if you don't like white wine, or want to use it for cooking but can't find a single-serve bottle and don't want the rest to go to waste, feel free to substitute with additional chicken broth. I also added some lemon juice and, since we all like a little heat, substituted her diced tomatoes for the Delmonte Zesty Jalapeno, and her cloved garlic for jarred minced garlic with red pepper. Those are two pantry items I am NEVER without!!


INGREDIENTS :
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 t salt, plus 1 t
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper, plus 1t
1/4 c olive oil
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
3 oz prosciutto, chopped
2 t jarred minced garlic with red pepper (or 2 cloves, minced)
1 (14.5 oz) can Delmonte Zesty Jalapeno Petite Diced Tomatoes
Juice from half a lemon
1/2 c+ white wine
1 T fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1/2 c chicken stock
2 T capers
1/4 c chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley


Start by slicing your peppers and chopping your prosciutto, herbs, and garlic -- if you're using whole cloves. Set that aside and trim any excess fat, etc. off your chicken, give it a rinse, pat it dry with a paper towel, and season it with the original 1/2 t each of salt and pepper. Not mandatory, but I usually cook with Kosher salt.


Heat olive oil over med heat. When oil is hot, brown the chicken on both sides, then remove it from the pan and set aside for now.






Still over med heat, add the peppers and prosciutto to the same pan, until the peppers have browned and the prosciutto is crisp, about 5". Add the lemon juice and garlic and cook for 1" more. Add the tomatoes, herbs, and wine (or broth), being sure to get all the way to the bottom of the pan to scrape down any browned bits hiding there. If you're using a non-stick pan, use a wooden spoon so you don't scratch the surface. 

Return chicken to pan; add 1/2 c stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through, 20-30".


Add in the capers and parsley during the last few minutes, reserving a little fresh parsley for garnish.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great recipe! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good. I think I gravitate toward anything colorful. That's why I don't like cookbooks that don't have pictures! I scan through to see what catches my eye, THEN read the recipe. I tried a gnocchi recipes of hers we loved too. I'll have to post that soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here via Foodie Blogroll.

    Great looking final dish. I like how the sauce is pooled up, just waiting to jump into that chicken once you cut it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chris! I enjoy any excuse to break out a carb ... a nice crusty loaf of bread to soak up the juice! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...