Hye Thyme Cafe: Cretan Almond Cake

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, October 7, 2010

Cretan Almond Cake

Cretan Almond Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe


My Mom got this recipe from a Greek neighbor a bazillion years ago, and it's my absolute favorite! I like a nice lemon tea cake, or a wild blueberry cake, but it you put me in the same room with one of these, don't turn your back if you plan to have any ... cuz it'll be gone!!

The original recipe called for baking it in a 16x11" pan or a 14" round at 350 for 45", but I've always had it in loaf form, so I adjusted the time to about 1'15".


INGREDIENTS :
1c butter
2 1/2 c sugar
7 eggs, separated
1 1/2 t almond extract
2 t vanilla
3 c sifted flour
1 T baking powder
1 c milk
1 1/2 c almonds, chopped
1 t salt
Zweiback toast - crushed
Cooking Spray

I am apparently getting old, because you used to be able to find Zweiback Toast in the baby aisle of any grocery store. That seems not to be the case anymore. I grew up using the Nabisco Zweiback, but after an exhaustive search and admitting defeat, I finally found out they have been discontinued. Figures!  It wasn't quite the same, but I did manage to find a few other brands at Odd Lots and the Christmas Tree Shops. When I was contemplating giving up my search, I was planning to use crushed biscotti instead, so if you can't find Zweiback, feel free to experiment.

Go ahead and spray two loaf pans with cooking spray and coat them with whatever crumbs you have decided to use, shaking out any excess.

Cretan Almond Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe

In a small bowl, combine the sifted flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.  

Cretan Almond Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe
Cream the butter and sugar for a good 10" or so. Hopefully you've got a stand mixer for this - makes life sooooo much easier!  Add the egg yolks, milk, almond extract, and vanilla, then add in the flour mixture, a little at a time, until nicely blended.  


If you are using a stand mixer and only have one bowl, go ahead and pour the batter into a big bowl, stir in 1 c of the the almond pieces, and wash out the mixer bowl ... it's time to whip some whites.

Cretan Almond Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe


OK, back to the stand mixer ... whip your egg whites until stiff, then gently fold them into the batter and pour into your prepared loaf pans.





Sprinkle the tops with the remaining chopped almond pieces and bake at 350 for about 1'15". I haven't actually tried this yet, but I read a great tip recently. If you want to test the center of a loaf cake, and a toothpick isn't long enough, try a strand of dry spaghetti!

As you can see, I served myself a slice on the fancy china.   ;-)


Cretan Almond Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe
Cretan Almond Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe




11 comments:

  1. I just found your blog via Bakespace. Where have I been? :) Love this bread, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys! Joanna, no worries, you're not that far behind. I'm just getting started. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious Chris and I too remember Zweibeck toast. Wow can't believe they don't make it anymore!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's like those dang ice box cookies! They still make them, but when you NEED them for something, you can't find them! :(

      Delete
  4. I'm going to go off topic with nostalgia foods and ask if you remember the big square saltines. I miss THOSE. I swear no saltine has ever been as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ??? Until recent years, when they came out with little saltines, I was only aware of the box with the four sleeves of crackers. You mean bigger???

      Delete
    2. Awww man really? Phooey. Well imagine for the regular square glued together to make one big square. They came in one giant sleeve and you could break them into fours.

      Delete
    3. That's so weird, I wonder if it was introduced regionally for some reason?

      Delete
  5. This sounds SO yummy! I really love almond flavoring. The recipe reminds me of my grandma's pound cake recipe, minus the sour cream. :-) And it is delish! I think I am going to have to try this one. TALU ~Joell from Red Van Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really glad I finally made it myself! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...