Hye Thyme Cafe: BBQ Meatloaf

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, October 10, 2010

BBQ Meatloaf

BBQ Meatloaf

When it comes to comfort foods, for me, meatloaf runs a close second to Baked Macaroni and Cheese. I'm not sure where my Mom came across the original recipe for this years ago, but we never made a "plain" meatloaf again. We've made minor tweaks over time, but nothing substantial. I have only ever had one meatloaf that tops this, but that's a blog for another day ... and it will blow your socks off! That's a filled version though, and takes a lot more work, so when it comes to your go-to recipe, this should be it!

SAUCE:
2 T mustard
2 T vinegar
2 T light brown sugar
1/2 c ketchup  (Heinz)

MEATLOAF:
2 lb ground beef
1 c herbed stuffing mix
1 medium onion - diced fine
1 1/2 t salt
3/4 c tomato sauce  (Hunts)
1 large egg - beaten
1/4 t black pepper
1 t light brown sugar
2 T mayonnaise  (Hellmann's)

BBQ Meatloaf

For the sauce, bring everything to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, adjusting the brown sugar and ketchup to suit your family's preference for how thin/thick you like your sauces. Remove from heat and set aside.

I went outside for a minute and realized I had company ...  "Hey lady, whatcha makin???"

BBQ Meatloaf


Then I turned around and saw this pitiful sight ... "Aunty, you left me in the house all by myself!!"

BBQ Meatloaf


BBQ Meatloaf
When it comes to meatloaf, one of the key elements is how you combine the ingredients. You want to make sure everything is evenly distributed, but don't work it to death, or it will turn to lead! Just get in there with your hands and quickly incorporate everything. For this one, you don't even use a loaf pan - just shape it on a baking sheet or roasting pan and pour over about half of the sauce. Reserve the remaining sauce to re-heat when the meatloaf comes out so you can pour a little over each slice - or over your mashed potatoes or rice or whatever you serve with it. Bake at 350 for 1-1.5'. Time depends on how thick you shape it, so just keep and eye on it.

I usually serve this with either mashed potatoes or pilaf and either corn or broccoli, but I decided to try something new tonight. For the mashed potatoes, I used three big russets and one big sweet potato. I was pleased with the color but surprised that you couldn't really taste the sweet potato. I guess that's a good thing if you are wanting to serve them to picky kids. I'll definitely make it that way again but go half and half next time. If you're curious about what that is on the plate with the meatloaf and mash, turn in tomorrow for a Spinach Roulade with Maque Choux Filling.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try to this! I love different variations on meatloaf!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...