Hye Thyme Cafe: Baked Tomatoes with Cornbread and Basil

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Baked Tomatoes with Cornbread and Basil

Baked Tomatoes with Cornbread and Basil

I'm one of those people who, as soon as I walk into a grocery store, heads to the recipe cards for inspiration. If I don't find a recipe that interests me, one of the pictures usually sparks an idea. The original recipe for this dish came off one of those cards. I played around with it a bit to suit our tastes, but everyone agrees it's a keeper!

I was really bummed the first time I tried it because it was on Thanksgiving a few years back, and there was sooo much food on the table, my sister and I were the only ones who even tried them. We both loved them, but I wanted to know what all the guys thought. I was further bummed when it came time for the traditional Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwiches...I decided that rather than going with the dressing, cranberry sauce, etc., on mine, I would include a couple of the leftover tomatoes and use a chipotle mustard I had in the fridge. Ohhh myyy Goddd! That was awesome! I had it again for lunch the next day, but that was when I got bummed - I realized the turkey was gone and I never had my traditional sandwich. I was tempted to make another turkey just for that later in the week but resisted.

The original recipe called for grape tomatoes, but by the time you cut them in half, dress and cook them down, I couldn't imagine being left with anything but a platter of mush! I found a beautiful container of small red, yellow, and orange tomatoes and used those. I haven't come across the orange tomatoes again when making this recipe, so I just get whatever variety of smallish tomatoes I can. Last time, I could only find small reds, so I bought one huge yellow tomato and cut it into wedges. For an additional splash of color, I threw in a few tomatillos. I had never eaten a tomatillo before, so I wasn't sure it would even be in the same ballpark, but it turned out great. I also added onions somewhere down the line...and yes, when I made them for the second time, the guys all tried and loved them!


INGREDIENTS :
3 garlic cloves (I use jarred minced garlic w/red pepper for heat)
2 T EVOO
A dozen or so small tomatoes of mixed colors
One onion, sliced
2 corn muffins
1 T dried basil
Sea salt
Fresh black pepper
Fresh basil chiffonade for garnish (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400. Slice a garlic clove in half and rub the cut sides on the bottom of 9” glass pie plate or casserole. Drizzle a little olive oil in the bottom. If you're using the jarred minced onion like me, dunk a pastry brush in the jar and brush that all over the dish. Cut the tomatoes in half, cutting some in one direction and some in the other. If you're using cloves of garlic, pulse them in the food processor, then tear up the corn muffins and toss them in with the basil, salt, and pepper and give it a quick whirl to form an even crumb. Drizzle in about 1T EVOO and pulse again to distribute the oil.

Place half of the tomatoes in the baking dish, cut side up, alternating the colors for visual appeal. Sprinkle on half of your onion slices and half the crumb mixture. Top with the remaining onions, then with the remaining tomato halves, cut-side down, and sprinkle the rest of the crumb mixture. Drizzle a little olive oil over the top and bake for 25-30" until tender.


Baked Tomatoes with Cornbread and BasilBaked Tomatoes with Cornbread and Basil










Don't forget, if you've got any leftovers, they go great on turkey sandwiches!! Those pics were from the first time I made it. Here's the version with the huge yellow tomato, tomatillos and onions...


Baked Tomatoes with Cornbread and Basil

Baked Tomatoes with Cornbread and Basil



8 comments:

  1. This looks like a nice healthy dish. I think tomatoes are my favorite food. Next to chocolate, of course. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! I don't usually improvise on recipes but I think I would use the grape tomatoes and go for the "pile of mush". Mix in some saffron rice and make stuffed bell peppers. Hmmm. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds good. I actually made a bread pudding version a while back. My sister asks me to make this all the time. It's realllly good! See, never pass up those recipe cards in the produce department! ;)

      Delete
  3. Well I never . . . but should try this! Our garden has been especially good to us this year :)

    (Linking up w archives)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a green thumb. It's almost embarrassing that I don't. My grandparents yard was like the Garden of Eden with the vegetable garden, strawberry patch, watermelon patch, fruit trees, flower gardens everywhere... Then there was my family home growing up. Again, huge veggie garden, strawberry patch, rose garden, etc. Me, I'd be lucky to be able to grow a Chia Pet! :(

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing another yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I've made something similar to this, but without the corn muffins. I really like the idea of adding them in so I'll have to try that out next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely a family favorite, and the cornbread/muffins do add a new dimension. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...