Granola has been spoiled for me by the Golden Girl Granola Company. I was introduced to them a few years back and love their granola. Last year, I won second place in their annual recipe challenge and scored several bags, which I made the mistake of sharing with friends and family. I say it was a mistake because not long after that, I started eating homemade yogurt with fruit and a sprinkle of granola practically every morning for breakfast. I had shared it thinking there was no way I would be able to get through all of that granola. Once I ran out, I picked up another brand and hated it, then another that was so bad, I actually threw it away. Once I had been introduced to Golden Girl, no other brand seemed to stand up next to it - they all seem like cardboard to me or have too much junk in them. So what's a girl to do?? I started making my own!
4 c old fashioned oats
1 c sliced almonds
1 c unsweetened coconut chips
1/2 c apricot preserves
3 T canola (or other neutral) oil
1 t almond extract
1/2 t salt
3/4 c diced dried apricots
- In a large bowl, toss together the oats, almonds, and coconut chips.
- In a small pot, heat the preserves with the oil, extract, and salt, until the preserves are dissolved - you can use the back of your spoon to sort of press out any chunks of apricot to break them down a bit.
- Pour the preserve mixture over the oat mixture, and stir until well coated.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for about 20" at 300, give it a stir, then continue for another 20" or so until golden.
- Transfer the baked granola to a tin for storage, and toss in the diced apricot pieces. You want to add them at the end so they harden.
Very easy to make, and you get to control what goes in it! You can adjust for sweetness, swap out the preserves for some agave nectar if you prefer, etc.
I just recently received a message from Golden Girl about their new challenge coming up. Last year was desserts, so I made a Coconut Granola Custard. This year, it's appetizers. I've got my thinking cap on! 😉