Hye Thyme Cafe: Kitchen Sink Cookies for the 3rd Annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Kitchen Sink Cookies for the 3rd Annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap


The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap of 2013


I don't know how I missed this the first two years, but I somehow stumbled across the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap in time for this year and just had to get in on the action!  Aside from being a great way to interact with a new circle of bloggers, it served as a jump start to my holiday baking, and all for a good cause!  Sponsored by Lindsay at Love & Olive Oil, and Julie at The Little Kitchen, this year's cookie swap served as a fundraiser in conjunction with Cookies for Kids Cancer. Brand Partners Oxo, Dixie Crystals, Gold Meal Flour, and Grandma's Molasses each signed on to match (up to $3,000) the funds raised by the project.

The participants baked three dozen cookies, sending one dozen to three different bloggers and receiving three dozen cookies themselves - one dozen each from three additional bloggers.  I received goodies from ...

Erin at Hot Dinner Happy Home (Cardamom Cookies)
Cardamom Cookies


Claire at Simply Sweet Justice (Pfeffernussen)
Pfefferneussen


Kim at Rhubarb and Honey (Cranberry Bliss)
Cranberry Bliss Cookies


The bloggers I sent cookies to were Cher at The Not So Exciting Adventures of a Dabbler, Jessica at Jessica is Baking, and Jennifer at Girl on the Range.

It was a tough call for me because the cookies had to be a recipe that we haven't previously posted, and they had to stand up to shipping ... and the time that involves.  I don't even start my holiday baking until two or three days ahead (unless it's something that freezes well), so mailing cookies to someone was a foreign concept to me.  I had to come up with something that wouldn't get crushed in transit or dry out.

I flipped through my recipe file and finally decided on what I refer to as my Kitchen Sink Cookies, because they pretty much have everything in them but the kitchen sink.  These cookies were the result of a misprint in a local paper and my committing the kitchen sin of starting a recipe without reading it first.  Not only did the recipe instructions include ingredients that were never listed, but there were also ingredients listed that never appeared in the instructions!  Not one to be easily deterred, I winged it - guessing about the ingredients that hadn't been listed, then throwing in a few additional ingredients just for fun.  That turned out to be a good call, because they turned out to be a family favorite!

INGREDIENTS :
1/2 c honey
2 lg eggs
3/4 c light brown sugar
2 t vanilla
1 1/4 c butter, melted and cooled
  (So you don't end up with scrambled egg cookies!)
1 1/2 c flour
2 t cinnamon
1 t baking soda
1 t ground clove
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 c milk chocolate chips
1 1/2 c raisins
1 1/2 c sweetened flaked coconut
2 med bananas, mashed
3 c oats (old fashioned, not quick)


  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Beat together the honey, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, and cooled butter until smooth
  • Whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, clove, and salt
  • Add the flour mixture to the honey mixture, a little at a time until mostly incorporated
  • Mix in the chips, raisins, coconut, and banana until evenly distributed, then add the oats
  • Drop by rounded tablespoon onto un-greased baking sheets, about 1" apart
  • Bake for 12-15" until golden, then allow to cool on tray for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack  (makes +/- 5 dozen)



Hye Thyme Cafe: Kitchen Sink Cookies

Hye Thyme Cafe: Kitchen Sink Cookies
Hye Thyme Cafe: Kitchen Sink Cookies

Hye Thyme Cafe: Kitchen Sink Cookies


I had fun participating (and even scored some swag in the form of silicon spatulas from Oxo and a cookie tin from Dixie Crystals) and look forward to joining again next year.  If you would like to join in, subscribe to The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap to receive notice when the next swap gears up.

Hye Thyme Cafe: Kitchen Sink Cookies
Hye Thyme Cafe: Kitchen Sink Cookies


A BIG thanks to everyone involved in making this swap/fundraiser a success.






8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the Cardamom Cookies, Chris! The Food Blogger Cookie Swap is definitely one of my new favorite holiday traditions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be a new one of mine too. A bazillion years ago, I worked in an office that did a HUGE cookie swap every year. That was fun, but VERY confusing the way they did it. This was well organized and for a good cause - win/win.

      Delete
  2. Chris - thank you again for the cookies. They were great!

    I received cookies from Erin and Claire too - I had quite the winning trio of cookies show up in my mail box :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad you missed out on Kim's Cranberry Bliss - Yummmmm!! ;)

      Delete
  3. Your cookies look great. Love that you used honey.

    This was my first year participating in the Cookie Swap; I made Soft-Baked Gingersnap Molasses Cookies, 3 ways. Had great fun and enjoyed getting exposed to so many other passionate food bloggers.

    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! Did you send each of your recipients a different version or mix them up??

      Delete
  4. I love making kitchen sink bars or cookies. Such a good recipe to use up my pantry full of baking supplies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, turned out to be a good thing that this recipe was a misprint. I also like the use of honey. I don't think I've ever used honey in "regular" cookies before. There is one that I dip in a honey mixture, but I don't think I've used it IN cookies.

      Delete