Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish the Sentence Friday: My Favorite Christmas Tradition Is ...

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, December 13, 2013

Finish the Sentence Friday: My Favorite Christmas Tradition Is ...

Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish the Sentence Friday
1st X-Mass I have memories from - possibly also my first footie pajamas
J

This week's Finish the Sentence Friday prompt was a twofer:  

"This holiday season, I will ..."
OR
"My favorite Christmas tradition is ..."

One tradition in our family growing up was that our Mom would get us each one new Christmas ornament every year.  That way, once we were out on our own, we would already have a starter set, plus the memories that came with them.  My funniest was the year I opened a plastic gold bell.  I thought it was an odd (and kinda crappy/cheap) choice, but didn't want to be rude, so I said the appropriate Thank Yous and went to put it on the tree.  Mom started laughing and told me to open it.  Open?  It was a ring box!  Inside was a fabulous amethyst ring.  :)

I picked up the torch and started giving my nephews a new ornament each year.  Sometimes it's very easy to decide, but other times, not so much!  If, say, they took a trip, started a new hobby, passed a milestone, etc. during the year, I'll try to get something to reflect that.  Otherwise, I'll look for something that's either funny, or beautifully crafted.

Another tradition we had (no longer applies) came about as a result of my Mom's sister and her family moving from the Boston area to the New Orleans area when we were kids.  Knowing how crazy things could be on Christmas day, especially with six girls between the two families, we took to opening gifts from each other by phone on Christmas Eve so we could spend a little long-distance holiday time together.  Before they moved, we would spend Christmas Eve at their house and Christmas day at ours.  We would all gather around the piano(s) singing Christmas carols, etc.  I miss those days!  :(

This one isn't so much a tradition as a "catch them if you can..."  There is a sugar cookie recipe we have always made for Christmas.  It's one of those recipes where the dough is rolled into balls and rolled in sugar, then pressed into shape with a buttered/sugared glass/mug bottom and decorated with sprinkles, etc.  We try to do it when everyone will be around so we can all take part in the decorating.  We've had some pretty silly cookies as a result.

I can't recall who's idea our most recently adopted tradition was.  I'm thinking maybe my brother in law.  It doubtless came about as the result of a stomach ache!!  When it comes to food on the holidays in our family, it can get pretty crazy.  You were practically ready to explode just from the bazillion appetizers and the nibbles (peanuts, holiday candies, etc.).  Our new system kills two birds with one stone - now that the kids are older and alternate holidays with girlfriends' families, etc. sometimes we'll have them on Christmas Eve, other times Christmas day.  We started serving appetizers and desserts on Christmas Eve for whoever is there (maybe some neighbors/friends will join), then have our family dinner on Christmas day, and on Christmas night, pull out any remaining desserts (and maybe an extra or two).  We find that stretching it out this way works MUCH better.  You get get to enjoy all the goodies, and the company if not everyone can be with you on Christmas day, without feeling sick to your stomach or having to pass up on something because you're too full.

As for my FAVORITE, I guess that would have to be the Christmas ornaments, and I'm hoping the boys will pass that one down to their kids when they have them.  I can be kind of a holiday time capsule.  :)

What about your family, any traditions you'd like to share?  



*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Feel free to share in the comments below, on Facebook or Twitter using hashtag #FTSF, or if you're a blogger, link up with one of the host blogs:




Next week's prompt will be:  "This holiday season, I will ..."

14 comments:

  1. We too always got new ornaments each year and do the same now for the girls. I really love this one and seriously so happy that I too could pass down my love of this tradition. Thanks for sharing and linking up as always, Chris!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool. I've never known anyone else who did it, but I think it's a great idea. I also like to do that if someone has a wedding shower around Christmas - I'll get them ornaments and another nice piece or two for decorating. :)

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of giving the kids a new ornament every year! That's a great idea. I'm 10 behind on the first born, but could easily catch up for the younger two! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me happy when my oldest nephew went off on his own and came home looking for "his" ornaments that next Christmas. :)

      Delete
  3. The ornament tradition sounds wonderful. I might steal it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you mum got you an ornament each year so that you had a set and a whole set of memories to go with them when you were older. Great story about the amethyst ring! Such a cute photo of you on your first Christmas - you had such long hair! It's my baby girl's first Christmas this year and she's practically bald in comparison! Lol. Hope you have a merry, merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was really funny about the ring! As for my hair, when I got my first "big girl" haircut, they took off a foot and a half!! I wanted it done, but it took a while to get used to.

      Delete
  5. I love the ornaments giving. My mom still sends me one every year. Also, awesome that you thought you got a cheap plastic bell but it was a ring box! And opening gifts over the phone sounds fun. Maybe there's a way to bring that one back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that's two of you who also got ornaments. That's cool to know. Mom still ribs me about the ring box now and then - and I still love the ring it came with!!! As for X-Mass by phone, we still call them when we know everyone is together, but we don't all exchange gifts anymore - way too many people with all the kids, etc.

      Delete
  6. I love the photo of little you decorating the tree. Very sweet and special. And the ornaments I totally 'get'. We tie up such precious memories with those ornaments, and it's very special to take them out and hold them close again, once a year.

    Your sugar cookies sound good too though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good, and they freeze GREAT, so it's one of the few things I'll make way ahead of the holiday. Actually they keep well in a tin for pretty long too. As for the picture, I don't remember who was there, what we had for dinner, etc., but I still remember a few of the presents "Santa" brought me that year. :)

      Delete
  7. I like the idea of opening gifts together over the phone. I know I'll be facetiming with my mom on Christmas since we won't see her that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely easier these days with Skype, etc.

      Delete