Hye Thyme Cafe: Slow Cooker Beef "Tips" with Peppers and Onion

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, January 17, 2013

Slow Cooker Beef "Tips" with Peppers and Onion

Slow Cooker Beef "Tips" with Peppers and Onion over Rice


I get so frustrated grocery shopping here!  I'll go in to pick up a few things and see something like golden beets, pear tomatoes, mustard greens, or a nice cut of meat and it will inspire me to make something, but that's not what I'm there for at the moment.  I'll think to myself "Great, they're stocking golden beets [whatever], finally!  Now I can make XYZ." I'll get what I needed that day, then be thinking about what it is I want to make with those other ingredients, go back in a few days, and it's like they were never there!  Sigh.  I need to learn to switch gears at the moment and just get it when I see because I never know when they'll appear again!  

Even something as mundane as beef tips.  That was what I had in mind for this dish, but of course they didn't have any either in the meat section or at the butcher counter when I went back, and the butcher wasn't available to cut any for me.  I had to settle with stew beef.  I could have cut up a london broil, but that still wouldn't have been what I wanted.  I forged ahead, and it turned out delicious, but I'm definitely looking forward to making it again with some nice chunky beef tips for an even better texture!  I'm just glad I didn't have a loaf of bread around when I made this or I would have plowed through the whole thing soaking up the gravy!

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 c flour
1 t salt
1 t black pepper
1/2 t garlic powder
2 T dried oregano
2-3 lb beef tips
2 lg sweet onions
1 each green, red, yellow bell pepper
1 can beef broth
2 T Worcestershire
1 beef bouillon cube
1/3 c Heinz Hot & Spicy Ketchup
1 c red wine (I used a cabernet)
1 heaping T cornstarch
cooked white rice

In a zip-top bag or large glass bowl with a cover, toss together the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano.  Add the beef and toss to coat, then transfer to slow cooker, shaking off any excess flour.

Slow Cooker Beef Tips

Chop the onions and peppers into chunks and add to the pot with the beef, then cover with the beef broth, Worcestershire, bouillon, and ketchup and set on low.  I had to resist the urge to stir everything right away because the ketchup was just sitting on top, but leave it alone! You want your beef to start cooking and absorbing the flavors from the dredging flour without washing it off by stirring up the broth, etc.

Slow Cooker Beef Tips


After about an hour and a half, I did give it a stir to make sure nothing was sticking on the bottom.  Everything had already started to cook down and settle into the pot.  I let it run for a total of five hours on low.

At that point, I stirred the cornstarch into the wine to create a (gross colored) slurry and poured it over the top, turning the heat to high and letting it run for close to another hour.  I wanted to give it a chance to bubble and let the cornstarch do its job of thickening the broth into more of a gravy.

Serve up a bowl over white rice, and like I said, hide the bread!!  I was very pleasantly surprised by the amount of heat the ketchup added.  Not the burn your mouth or give you heartburn kind of heat, just the kind that makes you think Ooh, nice...  



Slow Cooker Beef Tips



Slow Cooker Beef Tips






2 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris. You know, I never set my heart on cooking any specific thing. Rather, I cook based on what vegetables and meats look wonderful, fresh and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, partly because of this blog, partly because of requests, I'll have something in mind to make. I live on my own again now, so I try not to buy too much ahead of time. Need to figure out a better way to balance the two.

      Delete