Hye Thyme Cafe: ... I Tried to Fly Like Mary Poppins

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, January 25, 2013

... I Tried to Fly Like Mary Poppins



This post has absolutely nothing to do with food, but I was scrolling through my Google Reader feed and saw a post by Kate over at Can I Get Another Bottle of Whine...with my morning quiet time that read I Sold Beer Out Of My Locker.  Naturally, I had to open the post to see what that was all about!  It appears that Kate did, indeed, once sell beer out of her high school locker, among other things.  You've gotta love that entrepreneurial spirit.  

Anyhow, the post was actually a part of a Finish The Sentence Friday (FTSF) link-up.  That sounded like fun to me, so I couldn't resist but jump fly in.


This week's sentence is:  When I was younger, I tried ... 

What immediately came to mine for me was that when I was younger, I tried to fly like Mary Poppins.  Yes, I'm absolutely serious!  It happened once, so I was certain I had acquired a new superpower and tried for years to do it again!

I was all of 5 or 6 years old, walking home from the bus stop on a rainy and (obviously) very windy day.  I was using an umbrella, and being so little at the time, I was lifted right off the ground!  In thinking back, it was probably only for a foot or two, but at the time, I would have sworn I had flown half way home.

No, I never tried jumping off the roof with my umbrella.  That was better left for boys with capes who thought they were Superman.  Seriously, what's up with them?!  Every time it rained for the next few years, I would try and try to duplicate the experience.  But alas, it never happened again. 

You would think I would have learned my lesson about going up against Mother Nature as a result of an earlier incident, but no, not me!  Imagine my 3-5 year old punk little self at the beach getting knocked over by a wave.  Now imagine in my indignation, me turning to the ocean, putting my little hands up and commanding it to STOP!!  Now hear Mother Nature laughing maniacally as she pulls me under another wave.  I'm pretty sure that was the day I learned to swim under water!

 

















Thanks to Kate for the humorous walk flight swim trip down memory lane.




23 comments:

  1. Oh Chris, I loved your story and sounded like you were definitely a fun little girl. Thanks for sharing and linking up with us and hope to see you back again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was cute!!! Love the photos too. Now all I have to say is that was a very good quality umbrella. You know how they turn in side out. I given away a few umbrellas to the wind saying, "Here you can have it." Hope nobody got hurt.

    Anyway you must go check out #9 in the linkup. Just in case the numbers shift the title was "That's life sometimes."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even bother with an umbrella anymore - after living in New Orleans for 13 years, where it pretty much rains sideways at 60 mph, it's not worth the aggravation. I saw that post and cracked up - commented how ours lined up so well. :)

      Delete
  3. You were quite the fashionable five year old! Great story, Chris - flying kids are a popular topic today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that - there was a Julie Andrews thing going on too. Another post had a Sound of Music clip at the end LOL

      Delete
  4. I love it!! And guess what- me too!!! I actually ruined one of my dad's expensive golf umbrellas on a windy day trying to be Mary Poppins... :) Thanks for linking up with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, there's an idea ... my sister had a huge umbrella out on her deck with the patio furniture ... ;)

      Delete
  5. What a great anecdote. I found you via FTSF and it's good to know I'm not the only thwarted super-powered being around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute little girl you were! With the expression in the photo on the left, I'm surprised the waves didn't stop! :)
    I never tried to be Mary Poppins, but I sure wanted her to come to my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always hated having my picture taken, so I was probably mad at my Dad at the time, who I assume was at the other end of the lense that day. You can tell how much I love being in front of the camera by the forced smile on my face in the other shot. :)

      Delete
  7. Very cute story! And at least you were smart enough to not jump off the roof and try! (Stopping by from the FTSF!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried flying with an umbrella off the jungle gym. Not only did it no work, but somehow I wasn't hurt. Found you through the Finish this Sentence blog hop http://georgielee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing the jungle gym wasn't higher or you might have broken an ankle or something! Also a VERY good thing the umbrella didn't get caught on the jungle gym on your way down!!

      Delete
  9. That is so adorable! I never tried to be Mary Poppins, but I sure did want to be Wonder Woman! I laugh as I sit here picturing a tiny little girl getting an aero-lift with her umbrella...too funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, to have her lasso of truth!! That would definitely come in handy sometimes!!

      Delete
  10. OMG! That's so cool! I would have kept trying to recreate that too. Thanks for joining us today! Ok, all I can say is this food looks awesome!!! I'm following you on Pinterest and have to try some of these recipes. I'm drooling. I'm so glad you linked up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I'm glad I saw your post! I have been following for a while as part of the #TALU, but this was the first #FTST post I saw. Great/fun idea!! :)

      Delete
  11. Chris - I promised I would visit! lol You were actually lifted off the ground! Amazing! I loved the wave story. I can just see you standing so fiercely and telling the wave to stop! I gotta say, you had guts! : ) Really a good post! Enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary Poppins was one of the first musicals I was introduced to when I was a child, and coincidence, I wanted to be her too! Sang Feed the Birds in the school's choir and fell in love with it. Thanks for sharing, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag ... :)

      Delete