Hye Thyme Cafe: Orange-Ginger Oatmeal Cookies

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, December 29, 2012

Orange-Ginger Oatmeal Cookies



I had a container of candied ginger in the cabinet that I figured had been sitting around long enough. I decided to use it in a new cookie experiment to go along with our Christmas cookie platter. I chose orange to go with the ginger because the two flavors pair so well. I chose oatmeal because none of the other cookies we had made so far were oatmeal. 

These cookies turned out to be soft and very fragrant, but not at all overpowered by the ginger. That was my initial concern, so I incorporated more juice from the orange than I otherwise would have – thus contributing to the soft texture. If you want the ginger to be more prominent, and your cookies a little crisper, just cut back on the juice. 


INGREDIENTS: 
2 c old fashioned oats 
1 ½ c flour 
1 t baking soda 
½ t salt 
½ c brown sugar 
½ c sugar 
¾ c unsalted butter, melted and cooled 
2 eggs 
1 t vanilla 
1 ½ t orange zest 
¾ c candied ginger, chopped 
4 T orange juice 


In one bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda, and salt, and set aside. 

In a separate bowl, whisk together the two sugars, then pour in the cooled butter and stir until well incorporated. 

Add the eggs, zest, and orange juice to the sugar/butter mixture, then slowly incorporate the flour mixture, in three or four additions, followed last by the chopped candied ginger.

Drop by tablespoonful onto parchment-lined trays and bake at 350° for 15-20” until golden. 




 









Allow the cookies to cool on the trays for a few minutes before transferring them to cooling racks. 



2 comments: