Hye Thyme Cafe: Oatmeal Peach Breakfast Bars

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, November 2, 2012

Oatmeal Peach Breakfast Bars


When I decided to make these, I was actually looking for a way to use up a container of quick oats.  I had picked them up in a pinch for something else but don't really have a use for them.  Ironically, when I picked up the container, I dropped it and spilled half on the floor ... guess they'll be gone sooner than I thought. ;)

Sure you can eat them as dessert, but I think of them more as a breakfast item, so that's how I've been eating them.  Maybe it's because my brain looks for chunks in a dessert version, like in a crisp.  This is a smooth, creamy filling.

INGREDIENTS :
1/2 c light brown sugar
1/2 c flour
1/2 c quick oats
1/2 c old fashioned oats
1/2 t baking soda
1/8 t salt
1/2 c butter
2 cans sliced peaches
1/4 c cream cheese
1 t vanilla
1/2 t cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease or spray an 8x8 baking dish.

Drain your peaches well so the bars don't turn out soupy.  

With a fork, whisk together the brown sugar, flour, oats, baking soda and salt.  Again, using the fork (or your fingers), work the butter into the dry ingredients until blended and crumbly.

In a blender or food processor, pulse the drained peaches, cinnamon, vanilla, and cream cheese to puree.

Press half of the oat mixture onto the bottom and part way up the sides of the pan.

Pour the peach mixture over the oats, then top with the remaining oats, lightly patting down to adhere.

Bake for 35-40" until lightly golden.  

These were good hot and cold.  I'm sure they would be even better with fresh peaches, but I was playing with what I had on hand.












1 comment: