Hye Thyme Cafe: Don't look now, you're being followed ...

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, July 29, 2012

Don't look now, you're being followed ...


If I'm wandering around online and a recipe or new blog catch my eye, I'll typically add that blog as a subscription in Google Reader and tag the post.  That way, I can go back later to scroll through the rest of that blog's posts and tag anything else of interest and can automatically keep up with them going forward.

If I find myself really drawn to that blog, either because the writer is funny or quirky, or they put out a lot of great recipes or photos that inspire me (whatever the case may be), I'll then make a point to connect with them in other ways - E-Mail, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, etc.  I have apparently gotten waaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind on that score.

While running through Google Reader the other day, I noticed that some of the blogs I had been following hadn't been posting for some time.  In investigating further, I realized that some of you had switched to other platforms when I wasn't looking.  Others just seem to have disappeared.  Being concerned about that, I checked those pages' Facebook and other links to see if they had been posting elsewhere.  A few have been, but a few seem to have vanished.  I hope they're OK!!

Then there is the matter of how I initially connected with any one of you doesn't necessarily reflect your (or my) current "social status."  I may have hooked up with you before Google+ went live, or before I found out about Pinterest.  Maybe you started out with a Facebook page but have since added Twitter, etc.

Sooooo, I decided to take the opportunity to do some cross-checking.  I opened each of the blogs (pretty sure I got them all) in my Google Reader and checked to make sure I was connected with each of you at the various social sites (don't wanna miss any good scoop!).  Then I set up a Blogs I Follow board on Pinterest just to spread the love a little.  

I've gotta say ... I wasn't keeping track as I went along, but there are a bunch of you with broken links, or links that open to a picture rather than to a post or social site.  Sorry, I should have made notes so I could let you know.  Also, I'm guessing there are at least a few of you wondering why you didn't "make the cut" so to speak.  That would either mean that I inadvertently jumped you while scrolling along, or you don't have a pinnable image on your home page.  Whenever that was the case, I shot for one on an About page, but some of you don't have those either.  My intention with this particular board is to point others to your blogs, not specific posts, so please don't feel slighted if this is why you're missing.  :(

And since today is my birthday, my b-day wish is that you jump to that Pinterest Board and scroll through to see if you find someone new and interesting to connect with.  Happy blogging to all ... I smell dinner, so I'm outa here!
 


9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! And to think you spent a good part of your birthday writing about the rest of us! Thanks! Hope I made the cut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly did, but you were one of those without a pinnable logo image, etc. I used your recent map shot - at least it was a related image. :)

      Delete
  2. I keep forgetting to check my Google reader. If I don't get things in an e-mail I seem to miss them. I need to be like you and get them together in one place so I don't miss anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Reader. It's like one-stop-shopping. The weird thing is when I open a post there that only offers a summary view. Sometimes I'll open the full post and the blog doesn't even look familiar to me, I'm so used to viewing in Reader.

      Delete
  3. I read about you, then I read your post, then I tried to remember how I landed here in the first place (you followed me on Twitter, so I clicked and followed back). Now I need to explore more of your recipes, especially the Armenian ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I did the same thing when I commented on one of your posts a while back. If memory serves, you're Marash Girl's cousin. She recommended you to me. :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday!!!!! Oh, wait... I am 3 days late... (like always) Happy Belated Birthday! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, perfect timing. We had a celebration tonight for my b-day. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Hope your birthday was filled with yummy fantastic food. And friends, laughter and fun! ... I am impressed with your throughness in staying connected. I seem to be 'scattered'... and have a difficult time staying focused and connected.
    I appreciated your stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. It really is a boost to know I am just not 'talking to this computer'.
    Ann
    Rays Retreat Ramblings

    ReplyDelete