Hye Thyme Cafe: Peachy Keen Pork Tenderloin

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, June 15, 2012

Peachy Keen Pork Tenderloin


When debating what to make for dinner the other night, it occurred to me that we haven't had pork in a while.  I will typically make a Southwestern Pork Tenderloin - marinating the tenderloin in a little olive oil and southwestern seasoning and then roasting it with sliced potatoes, onions, and peppers.  This time around, I wanted to try something different, but I had no idea what ... until my eyes settled on a jar of Peach Salsa at the grocery store!


INGREDIENTS:
1 Pkg pork tenderloin (usually includes 2 strips)
1-2 jars peach salsa
1 large onion 
3-4 fresh peaches
Dried and/or fresh cilantro



I decided to marinate the tenderloin in the salsa for a couple of hours, so I first rubbed it with dried cilantro, then dropped it in a zip-top bag and poured in about 1/3 of the jar of salsa. 


Once that was tucked away in the fridge, I turned my attention to the peaches.  I peeled them just like I would tomatoes - sliced an "x" in the tips, dropped them in boiling water for a minute or two, then plunged them into cold water.  The skins peeled right off.  I cut them into chunks, then sliced the onion into wedges and dropped both into a separate smaller zip-top bag with more of the salsa.

As dinner time rolled around, I pulled the tenderloin out of the fridge so it wouldn't be going directly from cold to hot.  

 
When ready to cook, settle the tenderloin into a baking dish, sprinkle with additional cilantro, and arrange the peaches and onion wedges around it. 



Bake at 400 for about 45" until cooked through.   

To serve, slice into medallions and top with a scoop of onions and peaches.  If you have fresh cilantro on hand, that would be a nice topper.  You can also warm the remaining salsa to serve with it.  That was my one "complaint."  The tenderloin turned out just as juicy and flavorful as I expected (loved the fresh peaches with it), but most of the heat cooked out of the salsa.  If you like a little kick, you will definitely want to reserve some of the salsa to warm and spoon over as a sauce.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment