Hye Thyme Cafe: Chipotle Turkey Cutlets

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, May 11, 2012

Chipotle Turkey Cutlets




White trying to decide what to make for dinner the other night (I had Shepherd's Pie on the brain), it occurred to me that I had a jar of Sweet Chipotle Mustard that needed to be used up.  It's so good on turkey sandwiches, I figured if you can slather chicken breasts in Pesto and bake them, you should be able to slather a turkey breast in Sweet Chipotle Mustard and roast that.  Of course my market didn't have any turkey breasts, and the tenderloin looked terrible, so I grabbed a package of cutlets that wasn't 97% "solution."  (That's just a slight exaggeration).


INGREDIENTS:
Turkey cutlets
1 Vidalia Onion
White wine
Dried sweet basil
Butter
Salt and Pepper

Pat the cutlets dry with a paper towel and either place them in a ziplock bag or a bowl with a cover.  Coat with Sweet Chipotle Mustard and place in refrigerator to marinate for a while.

About 20" before you're ready to start cooking, take the cutlets out of the fridge so they're not going directly from cold to hot.

To a roasting pan, add semi-thick rings of vidalia onion and about 1/2 c of white wine.  We're not big white wine drinkers, so I just had a small bottle of cooking wine, but whatever suits your taste is fine. Place the cutlets on top of the onion rings and bake at 400" for 35-40".


 
Remove the turkey from the pan and loosely tent with foil to rest for a few minutes while you make a pan sauce.






Right about now is when I started hearing an odd noise.  I followed it to the front door to find a woodpecker checking out the deck chairs ...




Turn the stove on under your roasting pan and melt about 2T of butter in the drippings from the turkey, onion, and wine.  Whisk in some Wondra as a thickener, then season to taste with a little salt, pepper, sweet basil, more of the Sweet Chipotle Mustard and, if you don't have enough sauce to go around ... more wine (or broth).

Because I had originally tried this mustard on post-Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches one year when I had made Baked Tomatoes with Cornbread and Basil as a side (put those in the sandwiches too), I decided to make the tomatoes as a side with this.  Of course the market I went to only had red tomatoes, and no tomatillos, so I threw in an avocado to see what would happen ... not much.  We were disappointed in the avocado.  It kinda tasted like potato?!?  The turkey, however, was juicy and delicious, and the sauce had just the right notes of sweet and heat.  [Yup, I sneaked some of the sauce onto my baked potato too.]









2 comments:

  1. And SUPER easy, so you can't beat that!
    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete