Hye Thyme Cafe: Root Beer Pulled Pork (For New Yorkers Only)

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, January 28, 2012

Root Beer Pulled Pork (For New Yorkers Only)


Although I have been wanting to try a Root Beer Pulled Pork since I first ran across it, I wasn't really planning on posting it.  It's one of those things like Cake Pops, Macarons, etc. that seem to be everywhere you turn, so why would anyone want to see it again?  That's why this is for New Yorkers only - not to thumb my nose at the rest of you, but my recipe involves a sauce that I'm pretty sure is only available in New York right now - Dinosaur Bar-B-Que.

If you live in NY or are visiting and haven't been yet, definitely add Dinosaur to your To Do List!  Be prepared for a wait, but it's well worth it!  We frequent the one in Syracuse, but there are now three other locations as well: Rochester, Harlem, and Troy.  My sister and her family have lived in this area for years, but it wasn't until my brother-in-law was on a job site on the other side of the country that he heard about Dinosaur.  Not being a big BBQ fan, it wouldn't have been on his radar, but for the fact that people from all over the country were having a conversation about how fantastic it is and telling him that he HAD to check it out.  He did, not expecting to enjoy it, but now it's one of his favorite restaurants.  It seems funny that I was living down South at the time and they had better BBQ here in NY.

The other thing that is a little different about my recipe is that I made it with a tenderloin, rather than the usual Pork Butt or Shoulder.  I looked at some roasts, but they were very fatty.  Although that would add flavor, knowing I would be slow cooking it on low, I was thinking it might not melt away and really didn't want to be eating blobs of fat or having to be picking them out as we ate.  The tenderloin is plenty flavorful and much more lean.  I also decided to include some sweet onion, thinking they would impart their own flavor to the mix and really be sweet after soaking in all that root beer.  

The sides are some Mac and Cheese my sister had made, a can of B&M Baked Beans I doctored up with just a little ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar, and some homemade pickles and broccoli slaw.  I'll be posting the pickles and slaw over the next few days if you're interested.  The pickles were a HUGE hit.  The slaw needs a little work on the dressing.


INGREDIENTS :
1 pkg Pork Tenderloin
+/- 24 oz root beer
2 lg sweet onions, sliced into thick rings
1 bottle Dinosaur Bar-B-Que Sensuous Slathering Sauce
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que Wango Tango Habanero Hot BBQ Sauce to taste
Ooh, I just went to pull up links to the sauce and realized you can buy it online!



Talk about an easy recipe!  Just toss the pork in a crock pot, top with the onion slices and enough root beer just to cover, set it to low and walk away.





[ That's apparently only an expression ... pop it in the crock pot and walk away ... I made that mistake.  I came back about an hour and a half later to see how things were going and figured out that I had managed to pop a circuit, so it wasn't on at all!!  That would have screwed up our time-range for dinner on that particular evening, but my sister had made a Baked Macaroni and Cheese that I was going to portion out as a side, so we ended up eating that with a salad for dinner instead of the pork and coming back to this the next night.  For those of you who haven't popped a circuit ... ]


After 5-6 hours, when the pork is fall-apart tender, pour out the root beer and use two forks to shred the meat.  When nobody is looking, sneak a bite to see how it tastes with just the root beer.  Pretty good already, right??  And those onions, mmmmm!  Now stir in as much of the Sensuous Slathering Sauce as you like.  As much as I love the sauce, I can't stand eating a drippy sandwich, so I tend to be conservative, leaving more sauce on the side for anyone who wants it.


Pile the pork onto your roll of choice (I used Bulkie Rolls), and top with the Wango Tango Sauce.  That's what really makes the dish, that kick of sweet heat.  OMG, I'm drooling as I write this, just thinking about it.  I loved it as it was, but I may or may not add a drop or two of liquid smoke next time.  That might really put it over the top.  :)

 
























14 comments:

  1. While I just can't bring myself to order BBQ sauce online (I'm just too picky) I would however, love to try the roast cooked in root beer. Glad you caught the tripped circuit in time to save the roast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is good sauce DD, especially the Wango Tango. I think the best BBQ I remember having over the years was somewhere in Tennessee. I think the place was called Darryl's. I tried a lot of BBQ while living in New Orleans, but never came across one to rave about. I think my favorite item at Dinosaur is their Brisket. Yummmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmm looks great!!! I thought u were talking about me there for a minute!! LOL Wango Tango

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, you're confusing your "Wacky" with your "Wango." ;)

      Delete
  4. This sounds delicious and I live on Long Island in NY wonder if I can find Dinosaur here. Truly love your recipes though Chris and thanks for sharing!! :) #TALU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually have more locations than I realized! I just checked the website - I knew there was a Dinosaur in Syracuse (the one we usually go to), another in Rochester and another in Harlem, but they also have one in Troy, and now in Newark, NJ and Stamford, CT!! The sauce is in all the grocery stores here. You might have it in yours but just didn't notice because you haven't been there.

      Delete
  5. LOL, thanks for clearing up that expression. I wasn't about to believe that for one second. I'm not drooling over the port but that coleslaw looks devine. Did you make that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did actually. I even made the pickles. You can find the slaw here if you're interested: http://hyethymecafe.blogspot.com/2012/01/broccoli-slaw.html

      Delete
  6. This looks amazing even as I"m getting over a stomach bug! Interesting doctoring the beans with ketchup, will have to try that. TALU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny - when I read your comment, I had to scroll back to see what you were talking about. I figured I had picked up an "off" brand or something and it needed a flavor boost. I like B&M, so I can't remember now why I did that LOL.

      Delete
  7. Sounds delicious, Chris. I discovered broccoli slaw recently so I'm going to try your beefed up version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge cabbage fan, so I'm definitely glad about the broccoli slaw they sell nowadays. Until seeing it in packages, it never would have occurred to me to make it myself sometime.

      Delete
  8. This looks so yummy!!! I have a fav BBQ sauce from a local chain here in SC that I'm going to substitute in this recipe. It would be awesome if the pulled pork came out as well as theres! Thanks so much for sharing - one of my goals this year is to do better with homemade meals and inlcude my kids in the process. This looks like one that would be a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister was shocked when I told her I had used the tenderloin. She didn't think it would work out as well as it did. A crockpot recipe is a great/easy way of getting kids in on the act. They'll probably get a hoot out of shredding the pork too. If they like that, you should check out my Chicken Chili recipe too. :)

      Delete