Hye Thyme Cafe: Grab an ear by the handle...huh?

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, June 11, 2011

Grab an ear by the handle...huh?



I was the only two-legged diner at the house tonight. I felt like cooking rather than just having a bowl of cereal or something as we are often wont to do when dining solo, but I wanted to keep it simple. I opted for a grilled steak, a quick salad, and my first corn of the season with a little butter and Cajun spice rub.

Being alone with my thoughts (and a crazy chihuahua scratching at my ankles wanting to go on a field trip), my thoughts wandered to my corn. It's still very early in the season here, so it was just ehhh, but that's not what I was thinking about.



 
 
Ever since I was little, people have been laughing at me for the way I eat corn. Personally, I think it should be the other way around. After all, I'm the one who eats it typewriter style, row by row, avoiding both a messy plate and a mouth screaming for dental floss.

Every now and again, I'll nibble around the very ends first. I usually just dive right in and eat one row the entire length of the corn. Then I'll position my bottom front teeth behind the next row and sort of flick the kernels off the cob as I make my way down the row. Make sense? It does to me, but then I already know what I mean. LOL. Here, maybe a visual will help ...



Ya know how you always hear stories like with It's a Wonderful Life, where the moral of the story is that everyone touches lives in ways they don't even know, yada yada yada?  Well, as I was sitting there contemplating my corn and trying to ignore the impossibly cute pain-in-the-butt Yoda-looking four legged gremlin at my feet, I had to laugh thinking about how many times over the years I've been told that so and so has been eating their corn this way ever since seeing me do it; or this one's cousin hadn't been able to eat corn because of his braces, but he can this way; or someone ran into someone else who eats corn this way, so they thought of me, etc.  

I get a chuckle out of thinking about how many people I've converted to eating their corn this way, and how many people they have gotten doing it, and so on.  It's nice to know I've had some small ... albeit strange ... impact on the World.  Try it next time and let me know what you think.  ;)

 

7 comments:

  1. tee hee I eat corn the same way!! I'm ready for some!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you start that on your own, or did you learn it from someone else who learned it from someone else who learned it from me? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh I don't remember?? I'm like you with the floss!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I generally just boil the corn,but eat it plain. Rubbing it with butter and spice is a great idea! I will do it today for the corns waiting for me in the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zerrin, my sister sometimes makes a chile-lime rub for corn that's really good too. I usually just use a little butter and salt. That's kinda funny since I'm not a big salt user, but corn on the cob and popcorn are two times when I always look for salt...unless I'm eating an ear cold out of the fridge the next day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm beginning to think we're related :) I've always eaten my corn that way. http://cavecibum.blogspot.com/2007/07/me-freak.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Pam, that is another weird coincidence. LOL How random is that?!?

    ReplyDelete