Hye Thyme Cafe: Buffalo Chicken Croquettes

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Croquettes


We love Buffalo Chicken in this house, whether it's in a wonton, dip, an eggroll, on pizza, a salad, you name it.  We hadn't had Chicken Croquettes in a while, so I thought it was a good opportunity to give a Buffalo version a stab.  I'll definitely be adding this to the regular rotation!  I'm sure it will work with whatever buffalo sauce you prefer, but if you wanna do it "right," it's gotta be Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wings Sauce!!  Just sayin ...

The one thing I'll do differently next time is stick with poaching my own chicken.  I usually do that the day before, but I was running around yesterday and earlier today, so I didn't have a chance.  I used a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken as a shortcut.  It was fine, just a softer texture.  I had one person express a mild objection to the difference, so I'll either go back to poaching my own or make him a PB&J next time.  ;)








INGREDIENTS :
4 c shredded cooked chicken
2 c fresh bread crumbs
1 c dry bread crumbs (+ 1/2 c for coating)
4 eggs
1 sm onion, finely diced
2 ribs celery, finely diced (more for garnish)
2-3 T butter, melted



**NOTE:  If you're using a food processor to shred your chicken, the plastic blade works better than the metal. 


Mix together the chicken, fresh and dry bread crumbs, cooking creme, hot sauce, eggs, onion, and celery until the buffalo sauce is evenly distributed.  Refrigerate for at least an hour.



Preheat your oven to 350, and spray your baking sheet with PAM to prevent sticking. 

In a small bowl, stir together the additional half cup of dry bread crumbs and the packet of ranch dressing mix.

You can form your croquettes however you like, but per request to have them somewhat egg-shaped, I use a silicon serving spoon to "mold" mine.  I find that running the spoon through the crumbs first helps the sticky mix let go of the spoon, so scoop or mold a croquette, then coat it with the crumb/dressing mixture and place it on your baking sheet, repeating until you run out.  Mine are each about 1/4 c and the recipe yielded 17 croquettes.



Drizzle a little of the melted butter over each, then bake for 30-40" until golden.

I'm totally skeeved out by bleu cheese, but if you're a fan, serve with a drizzle of bleu cheese dressing brought to room temp, and sprinkle with finely-diced celery.



Here's a peek at the inside ...


No comments:

Post a Comment