Hye Thyme Cafe: Karate Chops

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Karate Chops


I had to do that ... I don't normally like "kitschy" names for recipes.  If I'm scrolling through Reader or flipping through Recipe Cards, I don't want to have to read everything to decide what I want to make.  I want to know by the title without having to actually open the recipes.  That said, these Pork Chops being on the spicy side made me think that Emeril would refer to them as "kicked up."  My brain automatically jumped  from kicked up - to karate kicks - to karate chops - pork chops - back to ... Karate Chops.  :)

The base of this recipe is Tyler Florence's Smothered Pork Chops.  He uses bone-in chops.  I use boneless and also changed a few other things to make it my own.  If you like pork chops and a little heat, these are a must try.

INGREDIENTS :
4 pork chops
1 c flour
2 T dried chopped onion
2 T garlic powder
1 t cayenne pepper
1 t smokey paprika
1/2 t dried mustard powder
1 t salt
1 t black pepper
1/4 c olive oil
1 c chicken broth
1/2 c buttermilk
parsley for garnish


In a shallow bowl, use a fork to stir together the flour, dried onion and spices for dredging the chops.  

If the chops are very fatty, you can trim them before you get started.  Some people like to keep it on to preserve moisture and add to the flavor, but others are totally skeeved at the thought of any fat on their meat.  If that's the case, you might want to trim it off but add it to the pan at the beginning to enjoy at least one of the benefits (flavor).  You can remove it later.

Pat the chops dry of any moisture, then dredge them in the seasoned flour - shaking off any excess - and brown them in the olive oil.  It should take about 3" on each side.  If you had removed the fat from the chops and added it to the pan, remove it at this point, and set the chops aside on a plate for the moment.



In the same pan, whisk in 1-2 T of the remaining seasoned flour to make a roux with the olive oil and drippings left from the chops.  Once it is blended in and smooth, pour in the buttermilk and broth and let cook for about 5" to reduce and thicken somewhat.


Add the chops back to the pan, lower to a simmer and let cook for another 5" or so until cooked through.  To serve, spoon over with gravy and sprinkle with a little fresh chopped parsley.






2 comments:

  1. Don't those look yummy! Spicy chops in gravy.....mmmm. I'm going to "star" this recipe for sure so I can make them the next time I pull out some chops for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you and Sir Sportsalot are into spicy, you might want to up the cayenne like I do for us. I wrote the original amount here so as not to light up someone who's not used to it, but we like it hot! :)

    ReplyDelete