Hye Thyme Cafe: Quinoa Eetch (Red Tabouli / Mock Kheyma)

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, November 6, 2010

Quinoa Eetch (Red Tabouli / Mock Kheyma)




If you're looking for an easy way to incorporate more protein into your diet without the added fat from animal protein, or maybe you're sensitive to gluten, this is a great option for you!  Of course it's also a great option for anyone just looking for something awesome to dip chips in ... pita chips, tortilla chips, bagel crisps, crackers, celery sticks, etc.  

When I was first introduced to Quinoa, I knew it could be used in place of rice in many instances.  Say rice to an Armenian and Pilaf comes to mind.  Aside from rice, Middle Eastern  and Mediterranean cultures are known to make Pilaf with Bulgur (wheat).  What else do you make with Bulgur?  Tabouli!  Seemed like an obvious first stop to me.

I was sorta kinda worried I wouldn't like the textural difference.  It was definitely softer than the bulgur, but most of my guinea pigs didn't even notice the difference between this and the wheat version!   


INGREDIENTS :
1 c quinoa
2 c Hunt's tomato sauce
1/2 bunch parsley - chopped
3-4 scallions - chopped
1 lg onion - diced fine
1 lg green bell pepper - diced fine
1/4 c lemon juice
Drizzle of olive oil
Dash of cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste



Bring sauce and quinoa to a slow boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until quinoa blooms - the grains will open and you'll see little tendrils unfurl.  Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.  Stir in everything else and let it chill for a while for the flavors to meld.  Depending on how much of the sauce was absorbed by the quinoa, you might want to loosen it up with some additional tomato sauce.  No need to cook it - that was about the quinoa, not the sauce.

Quinoa Red Tabouli on Foodista



 


 Just for comparison sake, here's is a shot of the wheat version ...















4 comments:

  1. The only time I've ever eaten quinoa was in the bread I made for our bakespace challenge. I really should do something with the rest of the bag! LOL. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same boat with the Quinoa Flour. I made the crackers but haven't done anything else with it yet. I have been asked to make the crackers again already. Wanna try something else with it too though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious.I'd love to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Alisa. It really is good, and if you want to make it even easier and not have to cook anything, you can make the regular wheat version - assuming you don't have gluten issues. http://hyethymecafe.blogspot.com/2010/10/eetch-red-tabouli-mock-kheyma.html

    ReplyDelete