Hye Thyme Cafe: Dolma (Armenian Stuffed Veggies)

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dolma (Armenian Stuffed Veggies)

This is another dish that's great for a chilly fall evening.  Whenever I hear someone mention they have a surplus of zucchini and don't know what to do with them, this is what immediately comes to mind.  I just started using Quinoa recently, so I haven't had a chance to try it, but if you're trying to stay away from carbs and want to omit the rice, I'm sure you could substitute it with Quinoa.  If you try it before me, let me know how it turns out.  :)

If you're not familiar with Quinoa, it has been around for thousands of years, and the Incas are said to have referred to it as the Mother of All Grains.  There may be other forms, but the ones that I'm aware of are the seeds (what I've started using in place of rice sometimes), flour (which I just used for the first time last week to make crackers), and flakes (which I haven't come across yet but see a lot of recipes using the flakes in combination with the flour).  Quinoa is steadily gaining popularity here in the States and is appreciated for it's protein content.  OK, enough about that.

For the Dolma, you can use lots of different squashes, peppers, etc., but I grew up eating it in Tomatoes, Green Bell Peppers and Zucchini.  A lot of people roll it in cabbage leaves as well, but I'm not personally a cabbage fan...except in a traditional New England Boiled Dinner on St. Patty's Day!  I recently added Red Bell Peppers to the mix, and I think that's my new favorite.


For the filling, you will need . . .
1 1/2 lb ground beef and/or lamb
1 onion,diced
2-3 T fresh chopped parsley
1 t dried oregano
1 can of tomato sauce (I always use Hunts)
3 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 c rice  (I only use Uncle Ben's)
Salt and pepper

First you will want to slice the tops off of your tomatoes, setting them aside to use later.  Scoop the flesh out of the tomatoes into a bowl.  Cut the tops off of your peppers, setting them aside with the tomato tops, and pull out the pith and seeds.  Slice the stem ends off of your zucchini.  If they are very long, go ahead and cut them in half, then core out the center (not quite to the very end), and discard the pulp.





To the bowl with the tomato pulp in it, add 4-5 oz of the tomato sauce, keeping the rest to use later, then add the rest of the filling ingredients, giving them a good mix, then stuffing the veggies.  Don't forget to put their hats back on.  :)



Put them all in whatever pot you can fit them in, then pour in enough beef broth and/or water to cover them.  Add 1 or 2 cloves of garlic and the rest of the tomato sauce.  Cover the pot and bring it to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for about 40" or so until cooked through.

3 comments:

  1. Great Pics Chris! I hope everyone tries this!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I have been planning to make this since I have seen sth like this on Nat Geo on TV a few days ago. the show was about this foodie who travels around the world to discover local,exotic and great food. So she went to Turkey and there they have almost the same stuffed veges. which i forgot the Turkish term. ;) and i told my husband that I wanna go to Turkey just for that. and he said why not make it here at home... he he

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love this (and like I mentioned above, especially in red bell peppers since I tried that). It's funny though, my brother in law is totally skeeved by lamb, and he doesn't like broth soups, so if me or my sister make this when he's around, we have to stick with all beef for the filling (no lamb), and give him some spaghetti sauce to top his. :)

    ReplyDelete